TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Replacing the awning

My awning was extensively damaged in a windstorm and I am replacing it with a Fiamma F45s. It is the same size as the original F45i but mounts a little differently.

The factory used 1/6 aluminim L brackets on each end and a lot of #8 scres. I am replacing with 1/8 aluminum L, 16" long on each end, a foot in the middle and using 3/4" #12 screws (more).

The three screws on each bracket are tapped to the "L" as well as the skin. The new awning hangs in a channel on the bracket and has a scew inthe bottom to hold in place. Remove the three screws and the awning can be flipped on the roof.

There is a rounded cap on the top of each side that extends abut an inch and a half on the top and side.. My question is what is this cap made of (aluminum ?) and how do the top and side panels butt up to each other. I would like to be sure all of the screws are not just in a cap that could tear loose.

In the picture, the awning is on top of the TM so I could align things.

Opinions ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mountdetail.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	11153  
Old 02-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Where you are attaching to the TM skin use pop rivets, the screws will pull out. Ours is already showing signs of this. Fill the gap with silicone as the gap is a dirt trap. Then run the angle the full length of the awning. Ours has to much movement with factory set up. Oh! if you don't want the extra crank handle ours broke the day before yesterday.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:33 PM   #3
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Pop rivets eh ? Factory used #6 or #8s (much smaller). Seems very strong.

ps Fiamma instructions say to line the brackets up to where it says "support" If you do that both hold down bolt holes will be blocked by the mechanism. Need to offset the brackets about an inch and a half toward the nearest end. Then you can install one hold down bolt on each.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
gjmaker95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
My awning was extensively damaged in a windstorm and I am replacing it with a Fiamma F45s. It is the same size as the original F45i but mounts a little differently.

T
I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago while camping at Moab, UT. Is the Fiamma the only awning that fits the TM? Has anyone used another manufacturer of awnings with success?
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #5
oldstick
TrailManor Master

All I know is I had to replace a couple parts and they were available only from Fiamma. Cost me $75 just for the two plastic swivel joints at the top of the legs and a new round plastic eyelet for the winch.

$15 of that was what they charged just for shipping the small box of 3 parts weighing a few ounces at most.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

You can mount almost any awning, self powered would be more difficult but I just use the same battery dril as for the levelling jacks but cannot use lag bolt for this.

Looked at a lot but in the end I could pick up the Fiamma locally (plant is on the other side of Orlando and without freight the price (just under a grand) was a wash.

Factory people were a big help where it was a little different. Angle aluminum came from either Lowes or HD and I tend to overdesign. Is rock solid.

Only hard part was it is a bit awkward for one person to manage but got it done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sidemorn.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	11926  
Old 07-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #7
gjmaker95

Default Replacement Awnings...

Thanks for the replies, Old Stick and Padgett. I was looking carefully at a lot of awnings on other campers during the remainder of our trip. It looked like most of them wouldn't fit on the short vertical run that is on the forward shell. Mine was pretty much totally trashed with all support bars mangled, the fabric torn and the mounting frame twisted, particularly on the forward end. I disassembled it and threw it in the trash. The aluminum "L" mounting brackets on the leading and trailing edges were not twisted at all however, so I think I can just get a new awning and mount it without much trouble. Found some vendors with the 10 foot version availble for about $880 plus freight of $250 or so, hopefully cheaper since I just live in Atlanta.
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmaker95 View Post
Thanks for the replies, Old Stick and Padgett. I was looking carefully at a lot of awnings on other campers during the remainder of our trip. It looked like most of them wouldn't fit on the short vertical run that is on the forward shell. Mine was pretty much totally trashed with all support bars mangled, the fabric torn and the mounting frame twisted, particularly on the forward end. I disassembled it and threw it in the trash. The aluminum "L" mounting brackets on the leading and trailing edges were not twisted at all however, so I think I can just get a new awning and mount it without much trouble. Found some vendors with the 10 foot version availble for about $880 plus freight of $250 or so, hopefully cheaper since I just live in Atlanta.

If you have room for storage, I would keep all the salvageable parts for spares. As I discovered they want car dealer type prices for everything.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #9
MamaJBee

Question Awning destroyed in a 5 minute deluge

Both arms are twisted and broke off, and the fabric ripped. We rolled it back, but the awning won't close completely. How much damage will occur to my trailer driving it on the highway for 2 hours with the front still extended out 2.5 inches?!?
2010 Nissan Frontier KC
MamaJBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:29 AM   #10
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJBee View Post
Both arms are twisted and broke off, and the fabric ripped. We rolled it back, but the awning won't close completely. How much damage will occur to my trailer driving it on the highway for 2 hours with the front still extended out 2.5 inches?!?
I'm guessing probably OK. I doubt it will cause any other issues with the rest of the camper at the least. I think we drove once with it maybe an inch short of being closed completely.