TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Ice in your Thetford ?

Thought I'd share something I heard today at an RV center while shopping for a flange seal. One of the repair tech's said he dumped any "left-over" ice from his ice chest (at the end of his trips) into his Thetford before leaving for home.

I suppose there would be some limit to the amount of ice one might consider adding. and the amount would have to correspond to how full the Thetford actually was upon leaving. I understand that most prefer to travel with only a small amount of liquid to avoid splashing -- so I would think that most -- if not all of the contents should be drained if one were to do this "ice thing" -- which I am only discussing -- not advocating.

But the idea seemed to be -- the ice would move and slide around with the trailer's movement on the road. This would, theoretically, agitate the contents within the screened enclosure and accelerate the breakdown of solids.

Would or could it dislodge the screen (which seems prone to letting "stuff" slip underneath) -- I'm not sure!

Could the movement of the ice accelerate the breakdown of solids -- maybe but I'm not sure!

I thought it was an interesting notion. It has no real benefit to me -- cause our Thetford is not used for solid waste, but I thought share it with forum members.

Eric