TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
frayco

Default Refer Thermostat

I have been wondering if I might have a Dometic Refer thermostat problem in my 2619, Year 2000. Get same results on all settings 2 thru max. Night time cool ambient I have early AM refer box temp. of high 20s. During the day as ambient warms temp. climbs to 45 degrees or so. Then it bounces around between 40 & 45 degrees. No matter what setting I chose, results are same.

When on propane, wouldn't the size of the flame change if I increased the thermostat setting # ? I have watched the flame as I had someone inside move thermostat setting up & down, expecting to see a change. No change. Should I see a change? I'm baffled. Never have had spoilage, but I'm uncomfortable w/the temp. swings & not being able to get temp. adjustments. Any thoughts &/or advice would be very much appreciated. How critical is leveling? I'm always very close but sometimes a little off.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It is certainly possible that you have a bad thermostat. But first, are you sure that the door gasket is good, and that the door is tightly closed? As I recall, it is possible to close the door "a little bit", leaving the gasket not quite seated. This situation would result in bouncy temps, although I would expect it to be warmer than you are seeing. And how about the freezer door? Is the spring in good shape, meaning that it closes firmly? If it flops out against ther inside of the refrig door, then all sorts of strange things may happen.

The refrig must be more or less level, but precise levelling is overhyped. If you are comfortable walking on the floor (i.e., you don't stagger like a drunk due to the tilted floor), then the refrig is happy.

On propane, I don't think the flame size will change as you move the thermostat. The flame itself is either on or off - when you move the control to COLDER, the flame will simply stay on longer. But the on/off cycle isn't very fast - you might have to watch for an hour to see a difference.

Somehow, though, I wasn't aware that you can actually see the flame without disassembling something. Is there maybe a bunch of insulation missing, especially in the area of the "heat tube" (for want of a better name)? This is a vertically-oriented sheet metal tube in the back of the refrig - all three heaters are inside it, and it is pretty well insulated with fiberglass insulation.

Finally, what is the model number of your Dometic unit? Do you have a manual for it?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote