TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
SneakyFrog

Default Totes and sewer hose elbow adapter

I was looking at this previous thread where tote sizes are discussed and dumping into them. Texas Camper was nice enough to post pictures of the hose modification that he uses to dump into the tote. I wanted to post our experience. On our last trip to Camping World, I discovered that they no longer carry "blue totes" (so don't ask for one, cause they won't know exactly what you are talking about). We ended up getting a 12 gallon grey tote, the smallest that they carry... I think it was about $55. Then we picked up an elbow joint to connect our sewer hose to the camping sites' receivers.

Well, we went dry camping this weekend for the first time and upon returning home we discovered that the elbow adapter by Camco RV sold at Wal Mart fits perfectly for emptying the TM waste water into the tote.

PS, My spouse couldn't get it to fit next to the spare tire. If anyone could direct me to a picture of how this was done with either the blue or grey totes, I would really appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022707 045.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	2170  
Old 08-18-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
Tuscany Bandit

Liz,
It looks like it works only if both trailer and the tote are both on level ground...not always the case when dry camping (and for that matter at some full service rv parks).
Is that dark spot on the asphalt from leakage when you dumped into the grey tank?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
SneakyFrog

Yes, it dripped at first very little (there was probably about 8-10 gallons moved into the tote). But once we put slight pressure on the handle of the tote (pushing toward the TM) it stopped. I see what you are saying about level ground being the best way to do it; I think that if it was uneven, one could just hold the elbow over the hole in the tote until empty, if necessary.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #4
Tuscany Bandit

Oh boy, if you try that the holes in the tote and the elbow won't line up exactly and the sewage will go all over your tote! The sewage comes out of the black pipe with some force...I don't think I would try it...
Old 08-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
jcjim4

I bought the CamcoRV 4-in-1 adapter today. Will work ok, but only if I manually hold it on the drain outlet. I paid $9.97 for it.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
SneakyFrog

Jerry and Wendy,
On second thought I think you are right when it comes to uneven ground and the force that the black water exits the TM. If I were to camp in a situation where I needed to dump the black water in the middle of our trip (instead of at home), I might try using the more secure hose with clamps if the ground was uneven. But if I could get the tote, elbow and TM flush with eachother, I would go for the elbow. Less messy, wet hose to clean up. Maybe someday I might get around to making that shorter hose like Texas Camper.

Thanks Jim on the input.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Could ya just put some leveling blocks under the tote to make it level?

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Scott O

I may be totally missing the problem here...but, why not just pull the hose out of the tote and connect it directly to the TM? At least, that is the way ours works...
Old 08-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
SneakyFrog

Leveling blocks might work.

Scott, the 12 gal grey tote doesn't come with a hose. Not sure if the old, blues did or not. There were 3 or so larger totes at Camping World. They cost a lot more and they did come with a hose, towing attachment and full indicator.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
MidwestDave

Wink Tote n' hose

I have used the 15 gallon blue tote (bought on the internet) with a 10' hose and it can be messy if you are not careful. I intend to make a short hose just for use with the tote. My two cents!