TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 PM   #1
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Default Thetford

Does anyone have a schematic of the Thetford or know how the plastic flap with the thin rod at its bottom is supposed to work? It is impossible to get any responses out of Thetford by phone, or e-mail. Will have to try snail mail. Ed Lytle was not familiar with the problem, as I described it. This thin plastic device is flat against the stainless metal screen in the lower 'dump' part of the Thetford. It seems as though it should come up and close off the hole. (Have been scrubbing to close down for winter).Wondered why there was so much odor on our last trip, but did not notice that the hole was not closed off. Thanks for any help you can give us. Ken and Olga Smith, Northwoods.
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default Thetford Question

I assume that you're talking about the vinyl skirt assembly. I believe the intent is that the metal rod will close the skirt over the toilet hole to limit odor, after the toilet has been flushed.
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Thetford vinyl skirt assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Does anyone have a schematic of the Thetford or know how the plastic flap with the thin rod at its bottom is supposed to work? ... This thin plastic device is flat against the stainless metal screen in the lower 'dump' part of the Thetford. It seems as though it should come up and close off the hole. ... Wondered why there was so much odor on our last trip, but did not notice that the hole was not closed off.
Look at this post by 2bcs1jrt
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...1827#post31827
and another toward the end of same thread.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...2519#post32519
Cheri replaced parts 4, 10, and 14 of the schematic. She feels that 4 and 14 are the essential ones to reduce odors.

Part 10 is the vinyl skirt assembly. I took a look at mine at the end of the season and also noticed that the hole is not closed. (I had never intently looked down the hole before.) I ordered a new vinyl skirt assembly, but from examining it, it seems clear to me that it could never close the hole, so I did not replace the old one. Its purpose may be to make sure that any solid matter falls down into the liquid brew and does not end up stuck to the screen.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

Default Thetford reply

Thanks for all the suggestions.Still no solution.Thetford replied: " Sounds as if the Vinyl skirt assembly which should be over the opening of the bowl to prevent odors from coming back into the RV has come loose.This item has an elasticized part which goes around the oopening of the bowl and there are lead weights at the bottom which keep it closed off when not flushing the unit." That was it - no suggestions for a solution, how to removed it to replace it or anything really useful.I asked them for more definitve help and will let everyone know what the 'final solution' is. (Doesn't that sound ominous? ) Olga and Ken, Northwoods
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
2bcs1jrt

When you order the part, I believe there may be a diagram. I might be wrong about that but I did the replacement myself and although not pleasant, it was quite easy. The elastic part is essentially a rubberband. When you disasemble the toilet take note of how the skirt is attached and attach it the same way. It's really simple.
Cheri
Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

If the old one is still good but just came off, it simply goes back on, again, like a rubber band. If you take the upper housing off and look at it, it will be more apparent how it works.
Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Just got to have a strong stomach and some latex gloves
Old 11-15-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Tuscany Bandit

Default Northwoods

I think I have the same problem.
The plastic covering of the opening, when you look into the bowl ,is not there any more! Now this allows me to see down to the screen that is at the bottom of the toilet. If you get a "fix" please post. I am sure others may have the same problem.
Thanks,
Jerry
Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
I think I have the same problem.
The plastic covering of the opening, when you look into the bowl ,is not there any more! Now this allows me to see down to the screen that is at the bottom of the toilet. If you get a "fix" please post. I am sure others may have the same problem.
Thanks,
Jerry
Look at the exploded view in the link provided by Texas Camper. The skirt is #10. It slides on to the fluted bottom of the bowl,#9. It's held in place by a rubber band of sorts. It's easy to put on. That's why it's easy to come off. The lead rod is oriented toward the front of the bowl.