TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
hhoenig

Default sewer hose use

what is the prevailing school of thought concerning laying out the sewer hose-- to use a slinky type bridge or just laying the hose out on the ground? is there a right or better way or does it make no difference?
hhoenig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
commodor47
Site Sponsor

I think some states may require a bridge. I haven't verified it, but a few people have said CA state CGs/Parks do not want sewer hoses placed on the ground. As Leon stated, a bridge does make it easier to evacuate the hose. I have stayed at CGs where the sewer intake is above the ground which forces the discharge to travel uphill, leaving a lot of the liquid in the hose. I use a slinky bridge . . . pretty easy to set up once you get the hang of it.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
MidwestDave

Question Different question same subject

In the past week or so I have had two sewer hoses fail. One was supplied with trailer new. The other came with a blue tote. One supplied with trailer was used about four times. The blue tote hose was used 10-12 times. Either the hose it's self failed or the ears on the hard plastic connection broke!
What is the consensus of the group, is there a brand of hose and connectors that is superior to the rest? I'll need to purchase a new set soon. Thanks!

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois

As to the hose support, I don't have one but will get one. Thinking of the one in three foot sections, nine feet long. Should suit my needs.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
commodor47
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE
What is the consensus of the group, is there a brand of hose and connectors that is superior to the rest?[/QUOTE]

In general you want to look for a heavy duty hose. Check the thickness of the vinyl . . . the thicker the better. The hoses that come with most TTs are usually thin walled and don't stand up to repeated use. The connectors come in different configurations. I am using the Easy Slip brand connectors . . . they work fine.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
BobRederick

hhoenig,

I bought the aluminum expanding bridge and find it to be too short for most CGs. Get one that will support about 20 feet of hose. I have seen the zig-zag plastic ones that do the job and recommend those. They can be extended or shortened as needed.

Re leakage, there isn't much that is less desirable than seeing a fountain erupt very near your face when the black water valve is opened. I put some scrap carpeting on the floor of my hose compartment as the metal floor was wearing thru the thin vinyl walls of the hoses. And do be careful when pulling the hose out of the compartment as sharp edges abound and are capable of cutting the vinyl as well.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
Debian Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Camper
I find that laying on the ground may work most of the time, but it really drains better if you have a bridge. It eliminates the low area just before the end goes into the drain hole. Makes for better, quicker draining....
Just my input....
I never needed a bridge till my last camp site. It ticked me off so much I went out and bought one the very next day. After using the "snake bridge" I wonder why I waited.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
smookie

We made a bridge out of a length of plastic roof gutter for houses. We took an 8 or 9 ft. length, cut it in half and nested it so it fits inside our bumper storage area. We can extend it as long as we need it to be up amost to the full length. It was cheap and works great. Sometimes we have to elevate it with a rock or small board. Our sewer hose fits right into the gutter when travelling and is also protected.
smookie
Old 09-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Smookie -

That's a nice idea. In use, how do the two halves attach to each other, so that the pair doesn't collapse in the center?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
MidwestDave

Default Sewer hose tips

Thank you ALL! I have gained wisdom on this subject. I am going to purchase a heavey duty hose, carpeting in the hose compartment and pick-up a couple of sections of plastic gutter. This site is a gold mine of information and tips. Thank you Chris for taking care of the site and ALL who are faithful to helping on this site as well.

Midwest Dave
Northwestern Illinois
Old 09-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #10
Senorsedona

Default Rain gutters

Just to add a quick addition to the rain gutter suggestion, it works great..........NOw!!if you trim 3/8 of an inch off of each side of one of them, they will nest better....

Have fun----------

Jack