TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-17-2003, 07:19 AM   #1
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Default Bumper Sleeve

During one of my many surfing sessions, I happened across a personal website where a gentleman had put a pvc sleeve in his rear bumper so that the sewer hose didn't continue to get holes in it. After the bumper is welded, there is usually a small to moderate amount of "flash" that will stay in the bumper, and this is sharp and has a tendency to poke holes in the hose.

I failed to bookmark the site, and I have not been able to find it with several searches, so I turn to you all for help. Does anyone know of the (or a) site? Has anyone "sleeved" their bumper? If so, did you use the square PVC tubing? PVC gutter?

I have patched my hose a couple of times this past year, and I would like to fix it for '04!

Thanks in advance.

Larry
Civil_War_Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #2
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Bumper Sleeve

Larry,

Seems like I just read something about that in a magazine. I think it was the latest Trailer Life magazine in the section where readers submit practical ideas. But think I read it then discarded it.

Bob Wilson
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sounds like a great idea. In addition to weld flash, the TM bumper has several screws that protrude into the interior. They are all in the corners where they "shouldn't" catch the hose, but they would make it tough to get sleeving inside.

But my bumper is so small that I already have trouble getting the hose in and out. Sleeving would make it smaller still. How would this work? Do other RV brands have a larger bumper? Or do newer TMs have a larger bumper?

Actually, I have to admit that the hose fits inside OK - barely. It is the couplings that are tight. But sleeving would still be a problem, I think. Any info would be gratefully received.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
efelker

Larry:

I think I saw the same thing you are talking about too, but as I recall the bumper cavity was pretty big and they inserted either 4" or 6" PVC sewer pipe. That may be a squeeze IN the TM bumper.

But how about this -- attach 6" PVC pipe UNDER or ABOVE the bumper with u-clamps. Glue the PVC fittings on the end of the sewer pipe that allow you to screw on PVC caps to keep the sewer line inside. You could probably also attach the PVC under the trailer instead of the bumpers. You might also drill some small holes in the PVC & the caps -- that way when you drive air will circulate through the PVC and help the sewer line dry.

I've seen several variations of this in one of the two Trailer Life "10 Minute Tech" books that I bought. When I get back from Tampa I'll see if I can find you a more exacting description than my macro description.

Ed
Old 12-17-2003, 05:22 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Larry and Ed -

I'm having one of those Homer Simpson moments - you know, slap forehead, yell "Doh! Why didn't I think of that!" I have cursed that rear bumper hose carrier since the first day I bought the TM, fought with it, gotten bloody knuckles from it, and ripped hoses on it. But it never occurred to me to simply add a different carrier.

Ed, I'm not sure that ABOVE the bumper will work - it's in the way of the tool compartment cover. And UNDER the bumper is iffy, because it will drag and break at the first opportunity. But under the frame looks like a stroke of genius. On my 2720, there appears to be plenty of space just aft of the gray water tank and just forward of the rear stabilizers. This location is well-protected, and as a bonus, will act as a shield to keep some of the mud and road grime out of the stabilizer jack screws.

FWIW, 5" PVC pipe apparently does exist (though I'm not sure where to get it), and might be a better size than 6" pipe from a road-clearance point of view.

Thanks, guys. I'm there!

Bill
Old 12-18-2003, 07:08 AM   #6
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Bill,

I am with you on this one. I will take a look at mine as well to see if I share the ownership of this "space". Thanks for the suggestion Ed, I think that that's a great Idea. I was thinking of doing the same sort of thing for my outdoor carpet at the front of the trailer, so one more at the back couldn't hurt. Then I could use the bumper for fishing poles like I am supposed to! :-), then I will have to start fishing.....

Bill, another possibility is to ask for 5" ABS pipe that is used for vent stacks at your local home improvement center, I think they use some of that in walls that are built with 2x6's. But like you, I think 5" would be much better than 6".

Let the hunt begin...

Larry
Old 12-22-2003, 11:38 AM   #7
2619PDX

I carry my hose in the tool compartment because I hated scraping my knuckles and wrecking hoses inseting in the bumper.

Plus - nobody is going to steal anything out of my tool compartment!!

Only thing I carry in the bumper anymore is a small broom and a toilet brush...

Along the lines of discussion, if you go to Camping World, you will find a sewer hose kit that mounts below the bumper in a plastic sewer type pipe...

Gregg in Portland
Old 12-30-2003, 11:44 AM   #8
efelker

... PVC pipe, Super Glue, and Duct Tape -- God's (or maybe that's Home Depot's) answer to the Handyman's "Never Leave Home Without It" kit.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
Civil_War_Buff
Site Sponsor

Ha that is too funny Ed, but so true!! I have decided to do the Camping World solution and pick up a pair of these at CW tomorrow. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...mp;prodID=1483

With the caps and mounting flanges on them already, it should be a LOT easier to do.

Another great idea gleamned for this site!!
Old 12-31-2003, 01:09 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

[quote author=Civil_War_Buff link=board=19;threadid=1576;start=msg11223#msg1122 3 date=1072844803]I have decided to do the Camping World solution and pick up a pair of these at CW tomorrow. http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...mp;prodID=1483

With the caps and mounting flanges on them already, it should be a LOT easier to do.[/quote]CWB -

This looked real good, so I sent an email to Camping World. I asked:

"Gentlemen:
Your web site at http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...mp;prodID=1483
shows the E-Z Hose Carrier. Can you tell me the inside diameter of the carrier?
My real question - is it big enough to easily accommodate the hose fittings (such as the Valterra, catalog number 6380) and worm clamps (such as catalog number 4509) that secure them?
And how about the hose half of the Valterra 90-degree elbow (catalog 5684)?"

Camping World responded promptly with:
"THE INSIDE DIAMENTER IS 4 INCHES AND THE SEWER FITTINGS WILL NOT FIT INSIDE THE PIPE"

I think they are right. A quick measurement of the Valterra fitting (6380) shows a diameter of 4 3/8". Interestingly enough, the Valterra elbow (5684) is less than 4".

If you find different, please let us know. Or back to the 5" pipe that you originally suggested several posts ago.

Bill