TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
greentrail

Default Cause of uneven Brake Magnet wear

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and just purchased a new to me 2006 2720. I was going through the trailer, cleaning, checking brakes, packing bearings etc when I noticed that the electric brake magnet is worn funny and the inside face of the drum has some pretty deep grooves. I searched and searched and have found mention that this can happen and that the magnets need to be replaced and the drums need to be turned or replaced but I can't seem to nail down why this uneven wear happens and how to prevent it from happening to the new parts. The shoes seem to be in great shape and the braking surface of the drum is nice and even. I guess I'm surprised that a 3yr trailer would have that type of magnet wear.

Any insight you may have would be great!

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Im no expert but it sounds like the previous owner didn't keep the brakes adjusted properly did you notice if they where adjusted out with a slight drag when working on them?

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
greentrail

Exactly, The linings and shoes seem to have almost no wear, they are in great shape. The wheels rotated freely with no drag. Do you think that because of that the magnet traveled too far in its arc and that's what caused the problem? If that's what you mean I can see that and it seems to make sense. I just got word back and they said the grooves are deeper than 30 thousand and they are unturnable. Looks like I will need new drums to match the new magnets.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

FWIW, we had a post within the last month about a source for Dexter brake assemblies, including all the parts you've talked about, for real cheap, and very easy to install. Do I remember $30, and four bolts? Don't let your brake installer hose you (as if any of them ever would).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
FWIW, we had a post within the last month about a source for Dexter brake assemblies, including all the parts you've talked about, for real cheap, and very easy to install. Do I remember $30, and four bolts?
These are found at www.easternmarine.com -- they are often on sale for ~$30. As Bill mentioned, they are very easy to replace. Remove the 4 bolts, cut the brake wire, and slide the whole thing off. Reverse the process to install the new ones -- you get a new backing plate, brake shoes, magnet, springs, etc. IMHO, this is the only way to replace any part of the brake systems.

Uneven wear on the armature surface of the drums (what you call the inside surface) are a different story. You very likely won't be able to find a shop to resurface that side (as opposed to the braking surface), so you'll have to buy new drums. They are also about $30 each. So for less than $150, you can have an entirely new braking system if you install it yourself -- which you can definitely do if you are packing bearings. Since you already have the wheel off to pack the bearings, the whole process should take you no longer than an additional 15-20 minutes per wheel, and that's assuming you solder the brake wires (vs. wire nuts).

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
greentrail

Thanks guys,

I had searched and read your earlier contributions. Luckly the dealer and I agreed that the trailer would be in good operating condition and they were to pack the bearings and check the brakes. After I got the trailer home and found that they didn't do what they said I was able to leverage that agreement. I agreed to do the labor if they provided all the parts. I just got back from picking the parts up and everyone is happy. Look forward to getting everything buttoned up.

I will make sure to adjust the brakes properly and keep tabs on that adjustment. From the inside of the drums it's clear that if you don't mind that adjustment it can have some significant effects.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrail View Post
Thanks guys,

I had searched and read your earlier contributions. Luckly the dealer and I agreed that the trailer would be in good operating condition and they were to pack the bearings and check the brakes. After I got the trailer home and found that they didn't do what they said I was able to leverage that agreement. I agreed to do the labor if they provided all the parts. I just got back from picking the parts up and everyone is happy. Look forward to getting everything buttoned up.

I will make sure to adjust the brakes properly and keep tabs on that adjustment. From the inside of the drums it's clear that if you don't mind that adjustment it can have some significant effects.

Thanks again for all your help!
That was a beneficial agreement for both you and the dealer. The dealer avoids the labor cost and liability exposure.........you get the job done right and the experience to know exactly what you have. To me....that's priceless....
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
greentrail

Just wanted to provide a closing to this story. I got the new drums, magnets installed. New seals and grease on the bearings. Everything went well, spread the shoes to center the shoes on the new drums then back off to a light drag. Funny thing it took about 20 clicks to get adjusted to a light drag, again pointing to improper adjusted shoes as the cause of the abnormal magnet wear. We just got back from our first trip out and put about 150 miles of break in time so I'll be back under there to snug up the shoes again to a light drag. Thanks again for listening and your advice!