TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-17-2006, 06:10 AM   #1
rockerga

Talking Dump Station Blues

My DW and I enjoyed our first outing this past weekend thoroughly enjoying our TM. But my question is that if we use a campground or boondock that has no sewer connection at the site then that would make visiting a dump station (My only option) a real pain! I would have to break camp and then pull to the dump station and then set-up again (Not leveled, but all the way open) to dump properly, is that not correct? And then I would have either no fresh water or pressurized fresh water to properly rinse the sewage hose etc.

Am I missing something here? (Other than not using my toilet)

My DW and I broke camp this passed weekend "by the book" so-to-speak: I topped-off both the gray and the Thetford with fresh water. Went outside and pulled the sewage handle, came back in and pulled the handle below the thetford, after a few moments I dumped 2 -3 gallons of water quickly down the Thetford. Leaving all the previous valves open I then opened the gray water valve and while this was draining I wiggled and jostled the dump hose to ensure capturing any lingerers. Afterwards I disconnected the drain hose from the TM and using my fresh (Not drinking water) water hose and sprayer to rinse the sewage hose completely while still connected to the drain only.

This is a little of a process but added to by the fact that "we" have to open" our TM to accomplish this. I guess you could feasible start a back-up at the dump station in season. I would not want to do this any other way to ensure cleanliness. It would be less than desirable to do without fresh water (to dump down the toliet) and good pressure fresh water to rinse out the hose again after the gray water has done it the first time.

Hey you experience TM'ers out there: whats up with that?
Old 01-17-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

I think this is a situation where you have to take your chances and pull the inside handle before closing down. Otherwise it takes all day to dump. Also, it's customary to close the outside black water valve before opening the gray water. This flushes your hose and keeps any residual water from the black tank from getting into the gray tank.

The only time we open at an off-site dump is if it's the last dump before heading home. I also use good quality disposable rubber gloves when dumping - especially when I won't be able to wash my hands afterwards.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
rockerga

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo
I think this is a situation where you have to take your chances and pull the inside handle before closing down. Otherwise it takes all day to dump. Also, it's customary to close the outside black water valve before opening the gray water. This flushes your hose and keeps any residual water from the black tank from getting into the gray tank.

The only time we open at an off-site dump is if it's the last dump before heading home.
Interesting and THANKS: I must have been asleep in class on the part regarding "closing the black valve before opening the gray."

So what I am reading is then you just have to trust or hope your external valve seals well enough to make the drive to hook-up at the off-site dump. Then you really don't have the option to dump the additional rush of water down the toilet or flood the hose with fresh water for a final rinse into the dump receptacle.

I am just asking but...Final clean-up at home in the back yard.....My plumbing clean-out access is inaccessible to me at home.

Sorry but I am a very much a "clean-freak" especially when it comes to this. I have been to too many third world locations and seen what the lack of proper sanitation causes.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
BobRederick

Ron

I think this has been discussed, but I am sending the link below as a reminder. I find the Macerator pump good for emptying and cleaning the tanks in a situation where there is no available dump drain in my yard.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...Macerator+pump
Old 01-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

The external valve is the same as those used on RVs with black holding tanks and is the only valve in those situations. We've been known to open the inside valve to get that extra gallon or so of storage if the situation warrants -- like if a driving rain storm is in progress when it's time to dump.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
Bill & Lisa

Ron,
In our experience, most campground dump stations do have a fresh water washdown supply hose to rinse your hoses with. You disconnect from the TM while leaving the bitter end in the dump and rinse the hose to your hearts connect or until the guy in line behing you starts to look really agrivated.

We have camped at once place that didn't have full hookups (but did have a dump station) Knowing that in advance we brought along our "Blue ToTE" 32 gal variety to allow us to dump without having to break camp to do so. We only used it for the grey water as it strikes me as difficult to clean well, but that was all we were really concerned with. We did hike to the bath house for our "solid" buisness and as a result had no problem with making it the 3 days on the Thetford holding tank. Camping world carries the totes. We have the 32 gal one with 4 wheels and the handle is shaped to fit over the ball on your hitch so after I dumped the grey water to it, I hooked it on to my TV and towed the tote to the dump station. It makes some noise (like pulling a wagon behind you) especially when empty but much better than breaking down, towing the TM to the dump station and back and setting up again.
Bill
Old 01-17-2006, 10:28 AM   #7
Freedom

You can get good nitrile gloves (Similar to latex, but oil resistant) at Harbor Freight for about $7.00 a hundred. I use them all the time for working on cars and when I dump the holding tanks. Then you just pull them off and they turn inside out so whatever you have on them is encapsulated - sort of - and you toss them at the next available trash can. They are available other places - think Wally World - but more expensive than Harbor Freight.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #8
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Just to show how people see things differently, I never use the flush hose at dump stations. I've seen people put a band on the nozzle grip and run 5-10ft into their black holding tank to flush them and then calmly coil the hose back on it's holder. Some are not long enough to be abused like that of course. I do hold my dump hose straight up and compress it to make sure all the gray water has drained before putting it away. We also try to spend our last night on the road in a site with full hookups so we can clean things up a little better.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
rockerga

"Just to show how people see things differently, I never use the flush hose at dump stations. I've seen people put a band on the nozzle grip and run 5-10ft into their black holding tank to flush them and then calmly coil the hose back on it's holder."

I have heard horror stories such as that originating from the campsites or dump stations. I carry a plastic spray bottle of 10% bleach mixed with water that I spray and SOAK the entire spigot and area, even my hoses, etc.,etc., while letting the water run to expunge the pipes before I hook-up my fresh water hose. Once hooked-up I get water pressure and let it run for a bit to ensure clean water and then I only use that for bathing, washing and cooking. I drink bottled water.

The dump station to me is a last resort for the reason of not only inconvenience to do the job correctly but also of proper sanitation habits. I guess that is of course "ME." I am leaning towards either having full hook-ups or waiting until I get home and using a macerator pump.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

Just be aware that traveling with a load of black water can result in some splashing around in the bathroom. I have had to travel with black water a couple of times and saw evidence of drips on the side of the bowl. It was not a full load either. I think, in the future, if I must travel with black water, I will lift the seat and cover the bowl with saran wrap as a precaution. (Something I picked up on this forum) Probably helps with the smell as well.
Cheri