TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 PM   #1
Gwenzilla

Default Trailmanor lift kit (how high?)

After scraping my bottom front area on our new 2619 on almost every driveway we've been over, including bending the battery tray frame today, It has become clear that we need to get a factory lift kit installed. I talked to our dealer today (the TM factory was closed) and he said that Trailmanor has a lift kit and he would order it for me today. It was closing time when I called... and they were gone before I realized I forgot to ask how high the lift kit would lift the TM. Does anyone know the height of the factory lift kit, and if there is more than one height available?
I would love to get at least 3" of lift or more. I realize I need to get a higher hitch bar too. Anyone actually had a lift kit installed? I would like to get some experienced info on the lift, good or bad?
Old 07-11-2004, 06:04 AM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Trailmanor lift kit (how high?)

[quote author=Gwenzilla link=board=2;threadid=2109;start=msg14715#msg14715 date=1089523103]
After scraping my bottom front area on our new 2619 on almost every driveway we've been over, including bending the battery tray frame today, It has become clear that we need to get a factory lift kit installed. I talked to our dealer today (the TM factory was closed) and he said that Trailmanor has a lift kit and he would order it for me today. It was closing time when I called... and they were gone before I realized I forgot to ask how high the lift kit would lift the TM. Does anyone know the height of the factory lift kit, and if there is more than one height available?
I would love to get at least 3" of lift or more. I realize I need to get a higher hitch bar too. Anyone actually had a lift kit installed? I would like to get some experienced info on the lift, good or bad?
[/quote]

I have the factory lift kit and, as I recall, it provides 2 inches of lift. I have the slightly longer 2720SL (which has the rather low hanging propane tanks in front) and I've never to my knowledge scraped anything on the front or back...and I've gone across some pretty big dips and bumps getting in/out of driveways and primitive Forest Service campgrounds.

If you have an adjustable weight distributing hitch like my Reese, you probably won't have to get a new hitch bar but rather can simply move the bolts up a couple of holes. If you don't have a weight distributing hitch, that may be part of your problem in that the front of the trailer is setting too low due to hitch induced sag. When properly setup, the trailer should be completely level when attached to the tow vehicle...and the tow vehicle should be completely level as well. If either sags on either end, even if it's just a small amount, you have lost needed ground clearance.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 06:08 AM   #3
Windbreaker

I think the factory claims it is 2" but I think mine is more like 2 1/2". I think this is a good deal, some time ago I wasn't looking where I was going and pulled my TM over about an 8 Inch sharp dropoff and nothing on the trailer hit. I was very supprised I had plumbing left.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:37 AM   #4
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

The factory lift kit on my '03 2720SL is two sections of 2 1/2 inch box beam and longer bolts. The box beam looks to be the same as that used for 2 inch hitch receivers. I have dragged the skids on the rear bumper when entering or leaving some gasoline service stations.
MJL

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:14 AM   #5
Red

I am curious about this lift kit. Any of you have a pic?
Thanks in advance,
Red
Old 07-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I am curious about this lift kit. Any of you have a pic?
View from under the steps curbside.
MJL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMliftkit.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	36  

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #7
kempert
Site Sponsor

I had a lift kit installed this Spring and love it. It raises the trailer 2.5" at the axle but makes a hugh difference on the ends of the trailer (it's a math thing). It doesn't cost much and is well worth it.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Red

Thank you Mike.
Red
Old 07-16-2004, 12:58 AM   #9
Gwenzilla

Thanks everyone ! I will take the TM in this weekend and leave it at the dealers so they can install the lift kit as soon as it arrives. I appreciate all the comments, help & pix.
Our first outing is coming up soon and I will feel much more at ease when the lift kit is installed.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:11 AM   #10
Gwenzilla

Why does that black cloud stay floating over my TrailManor?? I just got a call today from my dealers service dept. who I took the TM in to have a lift kit installed. He called to tell me there was a problem with installing the lift kit. He said "well I've never seen this before, but your axle is welded to the frame, so I am not sure if we can install the lift kit". I chatted a little about the dilemma and he agreed that he should call the factory for an opinion and explaination. A couple of hours later he called me back and said that... {{{the black cloud is getting bigger}}}.... the factory said it is ok to grind off the welds and then install the lift kit! BUT... it was gonna co$t a bunch of dollar$ more. {{{the black cloud is getting even bigger yet...}}}. Well I'm caught between a rock and a hard place because the TM really needs a lift to stop the constant scraping I get going over even moderate driveways... and I've already booked our first outing! So we agreed to go ahead and butcher up the axle and install the kit.
I asked him what the factory had to say about the axle being welded and he replied that some of the late 2004 models and the new 2005 models are all now going to have welded axles! I am curious if anyone else out there has this same welded axle, or am I just THAT UNLUCKY!
I am trying with all my might to stay upbeat about TrailManors...but I feel I am being severely tested in that respect. I could really use some good news for a change.
Thanks for letting me vent ... it is cathartic to get to share my problems. (ok I am taking a deep breath and returning to lurking mode)