TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Electric Brake

I pulled the hubs/drums and brakes off of my 2004 3023. The brake pad wear might have been OK but one of the brake pads separated as soon as I took the drum off, or had separated earlier. The pad just fell off of the metal portion. No indication that anyone touched this other than to shoot grease in, in 11 years.

I am replacing the brakes with Dexter Nev-R-Adjust and am replacing the drums/hubs as it's easier and probably cheaper than having someone cut them and then replacing the bearings and the seal. New drums/hubs come with the bearings, seal, and grease cup, and there is a separate number for use with the Ez-Lube axle. I sprayed oil on the Ez-Lube shafts (in addition to the grease that was still there) and wrapped them in plastic until the parts arrive, to keep them from corroding. I'll clean out the Ez-Lube orifices and pump some fresh grease through them before I re-install the drum/hub.

So, this was my first exposure to an electric brake. Interesting. The magnet couples the brake to the flat face of the drum, and then the turning of the wheel, forward only is what applies the brake. As far as I can see, only one brake shoe moves, it wasn't immediately obvious that anything happens to apply the other brake shoe. That drum face needs to be smooth. Mine was rougher than new.

No grease had leaked out onto the brakes. I know this can be a problem with a misused Ez-Lube axle.

Trailmanor had wires about 16 gauge going to the street-side brake, and then a wire about 20 gauge going over to the curb-side brake from there. OK, the brakes only pull 3 amps, but that seemed a bit thin.
BrucePerens is offline   Reply With Quote