TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-15-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Flycaster

Default Propane use

A general question for all of you experienced TM campers. Given the following conditions, how long do you think two 20 lb bottles of propane will last?

2 Adults
2 kids

Little cooking on stove ( 2 burners at fifteen minutes a day - each-)
hot water heater use (washing hands, dishes, 2 navy-type showers a day)
furnace heating during 45 degree nights
refrigerator running

Does any particular appliance run better on 110 AC?

Thanks in advance!

Flycaster
Old 03-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Propane lasts a long time - it is surprising. In the situation you describe, the furnace will be the big consumer, but I would still expect more than two weeks out of a pair of 20-pound bottles.

If you are in a campground with 110 AC hookups, I would run all of the appliances on AC. I figure you have paid for it, why not use it and save your propane? Turn the water heater and refrig to AC. Use a small 1500-watt electric heater for basic space heat, and set the furnace to come on only if the electric heater falls behind. The appliances won't run any better (or worse), and your propane will last forever.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
Harry Womack

Default propane use

We dry camped in Gunnison CO for 2 weeks with full propane on 2 tanks. We ran the heater at night with temp. in the 40's, and left the hot water heater on all the time. We cooked with the stove and I have a Coleman road trip grill hooked to the tanks also. We used about 1-3/4 tank of propane. I carry an emerg. adapter so that if we run out, we can use the small Coleman cans of propane also. The adapter is great if you run out of fuel.
Maxxis load range E tires @ 75 PSI
2013 1500 Suburban Z71 5.3 4X4 w/
Firestone air bags inside of springs.
Not using Trail Manor now. Replaced
with 2020 motorhome
Harry Womack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Flycaster

Thanks for the replies! We head-out this Saturday for our maiden voyage... a week at the beach, but what was supposed to be warm and sunny now looks cold and dreary! First time camping with a furnace! What a luxury!

Flycaster
Old 03-16-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
2manypets
Site Sponsor

I have to agree with Bill. After two camping seasons totaling about 60 days of camping we have only used three bottles of propane. We use the campground's electricity when we can to conserve gas but use it when we need it.
2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:15 AM   #6
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

If you haven't fired off the furnace yet, do so before you leave for the trip. The furnace, especially if new, will put off fumes that will set off the fire alarm. Open the door and windows and let it run for at least 15 minutes or until the fumes are gone.
Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Besides fumes coming out of a new furnace, I got a lot of black stuff, probably paint, that fell under the stove after it was first used. The stove could use a brief burn in, before you fill the cabinett underneath it.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
RickNewcomb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp
If you haven't fired off the furnace yet, do so before you leave for the trip. The furnace, especially if new, will put off fumes that will set off the fire alarm. Open the door and windows and let it run for at least 15 minutes or until the fumes are gone.
Mike
Depending on which model of TM you have, you may not want to leave the door fully opened because the vent from the heater will be behind the open door. I know this is true on the TM2619.
RickNewcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #9
Senorsedona

Wink Have fun

One of the best things to have in cold weather is a " Mister Heater" they will keep the trailer nice and warm plus reduce the propane consumption about 70% and no battery drain.

Enjoy..............

Jack
Old 03-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #10
Flycaster

Again, thanks everybody for the advice. I didn't think about breaking-in the stove/oven, but I will give it a shot tomorrow before we pack. I have run the furnace and didn't detect much of anything. I know the dealer ran it for my orientation, so perhaps it has had all the junk burned-off already. Still, I think I will run it for the first few hours with the windows open. Our TM is a 3023 and the vent for the furnace is on the wall opposite the door.

Leon, I know what you mean about all that will go awry during camping. For years I sailed a small ketch on the east coast and lived aboard her for about a dozen week long cruises. Oddly enough, she was a 30 footer, about the same size as our TM, with far less comfortable berths and a marine head and shower that was fine if you stood 4 foot 9 inches. Each cruise was a mixture of joy and dread, and half the time I had the sensation that I was standing in a freezing cold shower whilst ripping up 100 dollar bills.

Let us hope the palm trees and white beaches of Hunting Island State Park, SC are more peaceful! I can smell the salt air now......

Flycaster