TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Van Isle TM

Cool Lift Kit for Trailmanor Shell

I have an older (2009) 3124 Trailmanor and find I can't lift the first shell (has air conditioner) by myself. My husband isn't wanting to go camping much anymore and I like to camp where there may not be anyone to ask for help. I saw an internet posting for a 'lift kit' for Trailmanor but the e-mail link is not valid - the posting appears to be from 2009. Is it possible to fit the trailmanor with an electric lift? and if yes any ideas where to find one? Thanks
Van Isle TM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I think the lift kit mentioned in most posts is a kit to improve the ground clearence by raising the height of the TM.

If you are looking to use less effort to lift open your trailmanor, I think you need to search for adjust lift arm bolts.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tent camper is exactly right. There has never been a lift-helper for the shells, although many Forum members have suggested that there should be one, and a couple have suggested ways that the factory could make one. But nothing has ever come of it.

But all is not lost.

The shells are quite heavy - several hundred pounds each. To make it possible to open them by hand, they are counter-balanced by things called torsion bars. Each bar exerts an upward force on the shell, and there are four torsion bars under each shell - one at each corner, more-or-less. The force of the torsion bars supports most of the weight of the shell as you open. And their force is adjustable over a limited (but generally adequate) range. Each torsion bar has an adjustment under the trailer. As Tent Camper suggested, there is a lot of discussion about torsion bar adjustment here on the forum. You will need to join the Forum to find and read these posts. Or you can have a TM dealer do the adjustment.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Van Isle TM

Cool Lift Kit for Shells

I have read through the very good posts on making adjustments to the torsion bars for lifting the shells. I live in Canada and unfortunately there are no dealers here - it was hard to find a TrailManor - I would far rather have a dealer make the adjustment properly. I had a younger friend try to make the adjustment as my husband wouldn't try, but I didn't notice much difference, so I'm sure he was overcautious in the adjustment.
I do want to be clear the reason I asked about a lift kit for the shells is that I found a website (see link below) that talked about an after manufacture kit for lift assist for the shells on a TrailManor. It includes a video (also link below) demonstration where you see the fellow using a hand control and the shells going up with no one lifting them. But the phone # and e-mail are no longer valid.
I had my hopes up briefly but will try to find someone who can make the adjustment for me. Thanks for your replies.
http://rvpowerlift.com
Video#1 http://rvpowerlift.com/demo1.html
Video #2 http://rvpowerlift.com/demo2.html
Old 03-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Private message sent

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Tent camper is exactly right. There has never been a lift-helper for the shells, although many Forum members have suggested that there should be one, and a couple have suggested ways that the factory could make one. But nothing has ever come of it.

But all is not lost.

The shells are quite heavy - several hundred pounds each. To make it possible to open them by hand, they are counter-balanced by things called torsion bars. Each bar exerts an upward force on the shell, and there are four torsion bars under each shell - one at each corner, more-or-less. The force of the torsion bars supports most of the weight of the shell as you open. And their force is adjustable over a limited (but generally adequate) range. Each torsion bar has an adjustment under the trailer. As Tent Camper suggested, there is a lot of discussion about torsion bar adjustment here on the forum. You will need to join the Forum to find and read these posts. Or you can have a TM dealer do the adjustment.

Bill
Bill, I had seen that video before as well. I don't think it ever was considered seriously as a production item though.

VanIsle, another thing to consider with power is that if there were anything binding as it went up, the power lift might force its way through the bind and break something. As a manual lift, if it binds, you know you're doing something wrong and you go around and look. Usually, binding issues are related to closing shells rather than opening them.

Also, after I fixed my torsion bars (you can search for my threads on this), they are so easy to lift I can do it with one hand easily. If you are unable to lift them, something is wrong or out of adjustment.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
Jampcourt

There is always the possibility of replacing your existing torsion bars with heavier duty ones as well. I believe that Trailmanor sells different thicknesses that have differing lift capacities. You might check this out as a possible fix as well. Or you may just need new ones of the same thickness as the bars do lose their lifting capabilities over time.
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Isle TM View Post
I do want to be clear the reason I asked about a lift kit for the shells is that I found a website (see link below) that talked about an after manufacture kit for lift assist for the shells on a TrailManor. It includes a video (also link below) demonstration where you see the fellow using a hand control and the shells going up with no one lifting them. But the phone # and e-mail are no longer valid.
Yes, I remember those videos, but to the best of my knowledge, the lifter never became real. The phone number and email are for the previous owners of the Trailmanor company, which was located in Nebraska. The gentleman in the picture is Bob Eickhoff, then the owner of that corporation. The company is now owned by a group in South Dakota, and Bob Eickhoff is still part of it. If you go to the website Trailmanor.com, you will find up-to-date contact information for both the Company and Bob specifically. Everyone up there is very helpful.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:24 PM   #9
Van Isle TM

Thank you everyone for your information and suggestions. I have had a personal reply as well from a TM owner in Vancouver with offer of some help as well. Sounds like an attempt to adjust the torsion bars first and if needed look at replacing the bars. Sounds Feeling more optimistic. However until current situation has improved probably on hold. Thanks again and everyone stay safe and well.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

There is a second thing that people have done to assist in opening the shells. They allow gravity to help.

Normal method of opening: First you level left to right with blocks of wood under the left or right tire. Front to back you level with the jack on the tongue (either electric or manual jack), then you rise the shells.

Gravity assistance: There has been some threads describing the method. I would recommend that you search and find them. But an overview is you do the first step left to right leveling the same. The second step you make the direction you want the shell to go lower than level. The more you are off level the less force needed. example: when opening the front, front needs to be lower than level to open the front shell and the back need to be lower than level to open the rear shell. To close it; rear should be higher for rear shell and front should be higher fro front shell.

Look for the thread. Play with it when you have help, so you understand how it work before you by yourself at a campsite.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote