TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
A couple of issues......
1, 1000# is probably too much for any TrailManor. I know a lot of people use them but they can put unnecessary loading on the TM axle. Your tongue weight is probably ~500#. You may be better off getting a 600# WDH.
2, I would be concerned about the quality of the spring bars. If there is one thing that China does poorly, it's steel. Chinese steel has been a problem for years and that is part of the reason they can produce so cheaply. Spring steel is a technical process that I'm not sure the Chinese take great care at. It appears that some of the stuff that they produce is made to sell. They don't seem to be real concerned that it is made to work, much less last.

3, $200 isn't a real great price. I would far rather buy a used, quality WDH on craigslist than take a chance on that one.

I buy a lot of stuff from HF (probably ($150-$200 per month). I had some good experiences and some bad experiences. I would not buy something from them that has to do with towing safety.
The 1000# is the max load that you can put on the spring bars, not what you should put on them. Besides the spring bars will shift the weight to the TOW vehicle from the tongue!
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote