TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Bluegrass

Default Bathroom wall

One of the downsides of TM having so few dealers is that what should be routine fixes can turn into a problem when the service people have not ever worked on a TM

To wit: I took my TM into a non-TM dealer I've used for service successfully in the past. Problem was a leak from the toilet when pulling out the slide - likely the seal ring on the floor. I asked if they needed any help opening the TM and they said they had seen them occasionally and didn't think they needed any help. WRONG!

I picked up the trailer. They confirmed that my diagnosis was correct and that they replaced the ring, tested everything and no leaks.

Brought the TM home, opened it up and immediately found that the toothbrush holder had come out of the wall and had been put in the sink (which means they knew it had pulled out of the wall) and worse, when I lifted the front wall of the bathroom, which normally is out about 3" from the outside wall when you lift it, could now be pulled WAY out into the aisle. It also felt just slightly wobbly. Closer examination of the horizontal hinge showed that it had pulled off nearly all the screws holding it to the block of wood on the bottom wall and the hinge, which is plastic, had cracked. I've no idea how they could make that happen.

Then I went to test the toilet. Ran 5 gallons of water through it. No leak. BUT, the toilet wobbles which means it isn't setting on the four small "legs" but is only supported by the new ring. Not good.

SO.....I went back to the Svc Mgr who said they would make it right and asked me to get the hinge from TM which they would pay for. And also that they would seat the toilet correctly. He did say that the Model 80 Thetford is a marine head that they have rarely seen. Not sure why that's a problem but I guess it is different some how.

The conundrum: I've used these guys in the past for fixing the refrigerator which they did perfectly. ID'd a bad installation at the factory, adjusted the igniter and it works like a champ. Do I now trust them to 1) get the toilet seated correctly? 2) know how to install the hinge on the front bathroom wall. I KNOW they've never done that before. But I have no idea how easy or hard it is to do.

Again, there have been absolutely no hassles. They are willing to fix it all. I just don't know whether to let them.

It's 650 miles to the closest TM dealer.

Your advice?

Keith
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Sorry to hear you've got these issues. At this point, they sound like they want to make things right, so I would have to trust them for now to do it. But, I would wait and watch their effort. Tell them you can't trust the tech to handle the lifting and repairing the mechanism without supervision. By suggesting that you are prepared to watch over their shoulder, it may get more attention. They have to pay the the tech for the work again and everytime it's redone. They are losing money to not get it right for you and the bad reference you will offer to all that will hear you....

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I had a few small issues that were not critical, so I waited.

Between San Jose, CA and Las Vegas NV is Anaheim, home to Custom RV.
We planned a long weekend vacation in Las Vegas.

What would normally be a trip of 363 miles one way became a detour of 103 miles each way.

I still will use a local shop. But it is hard to tell where to draw the line.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Beak12

Keith,
Would it be possable for you to contact the Factory and with the help of a speaker phone have both on the line at the same time and get proper answers to all questions. And then you take the tech through all the proper way to set up and take down a TM. I know this will take lots of your time but then you might not have to return for a second time.
You can always take your banjo and play them a tune. LOL

PS:
Living within 1hrs drive of Custom RV sure is nice. LOL
Old 08-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I miss having a dealer just because of the potential for stuff like this.

I was not thrilled with the hour drive to the dealer when we bought it. Now the closest one is five hours away, in Fort Worth.

"Don't know what you've got, till it's gone..."
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
PopBeavers

I took my TM to Custom RV not so much because they were a TM dealer, but because Matt and his crew came to several of our West Coast TM rally's and I got to know them.

So when I needed the awning replaced and the edge of the Formica replaced I did not go to the nearest TM dealer. I went to Matt at Custom RV, who just happens to be a TM dealer.

So far I have not needed a local dealer. Not because I fix things myself. It is because things don't fail or break.

Since the warranty ran out in Spring 2006 I had the battery tray fixed locally. I hit a big rock off-road. I also had the kitchen sink plumbing repaired after I did a bad job installing a sprayer.

The TM is one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I have ever owned.

I bought the TM in 2005. How many of you are still using the same laptop since then?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
moaboy

I would work with them and give them another shot at getting it right.
If they fail again, well then you have might consider taking it to a TM dealer.
Good luck.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
Bluegrass

I think I'll give them another shot at getting the toilet right. Don't know why it should be sitting high unless the floor seal is too thick.

We have a trip to Sedona planned in 10 days. Maybe I'll detour over to Colorado Springs and have the dealer there repair the wall hinge. hopefully he'll have the part and the time. I've called TM factory to order the hinge but can't get them to return my calls.

What should have been a simple repair is turning into a hassle.

Keith
Old 08-31-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Bluegrass

Just looked at a map and it appears that going to Custom RV in Anaheim is a shorter detour than Colorado Springs given our ultimate destination of Flagstaff/Sedona. Talked with Matt and we're set for a fix!

Keith
Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Just looked at a map and it appears that going to Custom RV in Anaheim is a shorter detour than Colorado Springs given our ultimate destination of Flagstaff/Sedona. Talked with Matt and we're set for a fix!

Keith
we took our TM to Sedona back in Dec. Spent 8 days at Rancho Sedona. Great local RV park with Oak Creek running adjacent to the camp sites. Host couple were very nice. Walking distance to Tlaquepaque shopping district. Enjoy your time in Sedona. We loved it. Try and visit Jerome down 89A if you can. Signage outside of Flagstaff indicates 50ft truck and trailer is not permitted down 89A from Flagstaff. TM and truck are less than that but lots of curves, hairpins and descent is steep. Alternative route is IH17 to US179 and then back track to Sedona.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote