TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
2bcs1jrt

Default Low point drain valve leaks

This weekend we developed leaks in a couple of the drain vavles below our TM. I have a 2 part question.
1. When we replace them, should we look for something more substancial like brass or does that even exist. And along those lines, how easy or hard is this replacement.
2. My local RV store does not have this valve and we are leaving on a trip for 10 days this weekend. DH was thinking of pinching off the tubes for this trip. Any thoughts about this as a temporary fix?
Cheri
Old 09-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

One quick thing you might try. Open the faucets in the TM, open each of the leaky drain valves, poke the drain end of each leaky valve into the end of a garden hose ("seal" it with your hand, and be prepared to get wet), and turn on the hose. The idea is to force some water backward through the valve, possibly dislodging whatever small piece of grit is causing the leak. While you're backflushing, open and close each valve several times.

I don't think that sturdy/substantial is an issue with these valves. They are simple quarter-turn plastic valves, and I think (can't be sure, my TM is in storage) that they don't even have faucet washers. In my opinion, you could replace them with exactly the same valves, and be quite happy. As mentioned above, I think you can find them at Home Depot, Lowe's, maybe ACE Hardware, etc.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

After buying (and installing) two that leaked from an RV parts store, I bought a brass one at OSH (I think it's a gas fitting, it was the only thing I could find that fit). Getting the old one off required quite a bit of wriggling and pulling (but I don't have that much strength in my hands), trying to be careful not to damage the hose. I just used a screw-down type hose clamp to tighten the hose around the new valve, and 9 months later, no problems. I keep another one I found at Home Depot (it's PVC, a different type, found it afterwards) in the TM just in case we have another one fail.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
2bcs1jrt

Thanks,
I will run out to OSH at lunch today!
Dee, we were in your neck of the woods this weekend for the Monterey Jazz Festival. Stayed at the Marina Dunes RV Park. What a great weather weekend. Not a cloud in the sky!
Cheri
Old 09-19-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
PopBeavers

There are 4 valves. 3 of one type (black plastic) and one other (brass).

I have had a drip in the brass one. I think it is the drain for the tank.

I removed it with plans to replace it, but discovered by blowing through it that if I turned it real hard it would shut off better, so I put it back on.

I would be careful overtightening the black plastic valves, but the one brass vale has held up well to as much twist as I can put on it.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

All 4 of mine are gray plastic. I had a slow leak in one that caused the pump to pressurize every 15 min or so. Then this weekend DH hooked us up to city water (with a pressure regulator) and water started spraying from the back valves. We disconnected and filled the water tank but had to turn the pump off when not running water cuz we were dripping fairly consistantly after that.
I think if we have to do 2 we might as well do all 4. I will buy them at lunchtime but I'll try clearing the line before tackling the job.

Would it be bad to cut the tubing to get the old ones off?
Cheri
Old 09-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I didn't want to cut ours off (but I sure was tempted). I'm just not sure what you'd have to do to replace them in the event that they became so short that they'd become unusable (but that's just me, I'm paranoid about not doing something right and making a bigger problem for myself). Ours had a solid metal band fitted really snugly around the stem of the old valve, and it was a real pain to get off. But I don't know how those hoses are fitted to the inside drain lines, and was careful not to rotate them or bend them back and forth when trying to take the old drain valve off. I have no idea what it would take to replace those drain lines and didn't want to find out.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
2bcs1jrt

Well, I ran to OSH at lunch and was told that they had no idea what I was talking about. I could not print a picture of the valve and didn't know the name so I came back empty handed. Any idea of the name and size of the valve?
Looked about 5/8 inch in the pic but I guess I needed an inside measurement of the tube and something more than making shapes with my fingers trying to describe what it looked like...sigh.
Cheri
Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I took the old one off and took it with me. I may still have the receipt from OSH with the part number on it, if I have time tonight when I get home I'll see if I can find it.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

Well if you do, that would be great! I have 3 days to get this done if it is going to happen and it will be near dark when I get home. If all else fails, I may have to let DH clamp them off for this trip. Just don't want to damage the tubing.
Cheri