TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
grakin

Default Running AC on Honda 2000 Generator

I recently tested running the TM AC on a generator, at altitude (about 6500'). My generator is the small Honda 2000 generator, which is barely enough to run the AC. My hint for others: Flip the converter's circuit breaker OFF when you try to run the AC on the generator. With the breaker on and the AC running, it tripped the breaker on the generator - that converter draws more amps than you would think.

Of course that means you have to watch your batteries in the TM (but you're probably not running a heater if you need AC!). You also will lose (at least in mine) AC power to the water heater (but that's another huge load that the generator couldn't run with the AC anyhow) and fridge. But the fridge and water heater run fine on propane, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So, if you're having breakers trip with the AC running (I also had this problem when plugged into a 15 amp outlet at home, trying to get the TM ready), try flipping your converter's breaker off. I think I'll probably add a wall switch near the converter at some point to let me do this without using the breaker.