TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
Dean Robinson

Default Electric Slideout Died

We were breaking camp in Medora, ND a few days ago and, when I attempted to close the slideout on my 2014 TM 2417, nothing happened. I checked all the fuses, breakers, etc. but nothing made the motor operate. My wife managed to get Mike Proser in Wisconsin on the telephone and after explaining our problem, he took me through a variety of "try this first, then this" steps.

The third thing he suggested was to remove the four wires from the electric slide switch (the one you hold down while opening or closing the slideout) and connect each set of wires with 20 amp fuses. When I got the two sets of wires connected, the motor worked and I was able to close the slideout.

We purchased our TM in Florida last November and all I knew about Mike Proser was that he owned a dealership somewhere in Wisconsin and maybe Danny's Campers too. We wanted to publicly tell the TM community how much we appreciated Mike's willingness to help us even though he has never heard of us and probably had a million other things he needed to be doing. Mike is a class act and represents the true spirit of the TM family.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
RottieMom
TrailManor Master

That's great he was able to help you. I wonder if there's anyway you can close it manually if you had to, or if that would break something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2013 TM 2720SL
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 Hemi 5.7
RottieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Dean Robinson

I might be able to push it in with a bulldozer! Two fairly strong guys couldn't budge it. Wish there was a crank-type system as a backup, like on many electric tongue jacks.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:44 AM   #4
Jampcourt

The following is from an old post we made when our TM was new..... one can manhandle the slide, but I'm sure it contributed to my husband's hernia!

"Is your switch located to the left of the door, on the side of the stove cabinet? That is where ours is on our 2922KS, and it can easily be hit by the door itself when one is breaking down or setting up. Just a gentle tap is apparently all that it took to break the switch....we, too, thought the slide was just stuck at first.

We made this discovery on our second trip out.....and thought that we would have to turn right around and make a 6.5 hour drive back home We did manage to move the slide manually, with husband pushing from the inside, and me tugging from the outside, but the weight of the electric mechanism itself makes it very difficult. It was somewhat easier to close with both of us pushing from the outside, so, yes, it is possible. We did no apparent damage by manhandling the slide, as it has worked beautifully since repaired.

Fortunately, our Colorado Springs dealer had an extra available, but we learned the hard way to baby that switch when we open or close the TM. Hope your problem has an easy solution."

And now, there is no longer a CO Springs dealer....
2014 Ford Explorer with tow package, Tekonsha brake controller, Reese WDH, Renogy 100 W portable solar suitcase, modified for 7 pin plug. (Our battery is up front, under sofa). Modified to fill hot water heater and fresh water tank with unit closed.
Jampcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #5
Dean Robinson

Thank you for the info on protecting the switch. Not sure if it ever got whacked by the door, but hope i can find a replacement switch. If not, maybe an on/off switch might work. But it will have to pass the "that's ugly" test!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:28 AM   #6
YNPKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Robinson View Post
I might be able to push it in with a bulldozer! Two fairly strong guys couldn't budge it. Wish there was a crank-type system as a backup, like on many electric tongue jacks.
Last year when I stopped at the NE factory, Bob had a hand held model that showed how the motor can be engaged/disengaged so it can be manually moved in/out. Unfortunately, I no longer remember all the details. I thought there was a clip that needed moved to engage/disengage but with the front slideout "in" the picture shows a pin. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan
Old 08-26-2016, 06:34 AM   #7
YNPKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNPKing View Post
Last year when I stopped at the NE factory, Bob had a hand held model that showed how the motor can be engaged/disengaged so it can be manually moved in/out. Unfortunately, I no longer remember all the details. I thought there was a clip that needed moved to engage/disengage but with the front slideout "in" the picture shows a pin. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Motor.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	512.3 KB
ID:	13950  
Old 08-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
ArkyDoodle

I thought you just pulled that pin and that allowed for the motor to be dis-engaged and dropped out......??

TM - 2014 2417KS SilverTrail --- SOLD
Purple Line Enduro Caravan Movers
ArkyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
YNPKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Robinson View Post
I was trying to respond to Dean Robinson. Is the reason the slide in/out wouldn't budge because you didn't disengage the motor? Or, did you disengage the motor and it still wouldn't budge?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
Dean Robinson

I was never able to find a pin to disengage. Maybe I can locate it from the picture that was posted. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. Thanks! DR

Tags
electrical