TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Extreme Cold Weather Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM   #21
volvofan

Default progress report on wintering over

So it's mid-January now up here in the North Country, and we've had temps as low as -30 degrees F ambient, up to -45 with wind chill! On those ultra-cold nights, I am still running the oil-filled heater (moved to a shelf on the side of the wardrobe right inside the back bed area) and the fan heater, plus the heat unit in the AC. The fan heater is plugged into the campground on the service panel via an extension cord so it doesn't draw power through the trailer, which the ac/heat unit and the radiator both do (on separate circuits) with no problems. I run those two on their highest setting and the fan heater on the low setting or the plug gets hot. The fan heater sits on the dinette table. It all works like a charm, about 68 degrees in the main area, 73 or so in the back bed area. I am convinced that the thermozite on the windows, skirting around the outside, and 2" memory foam topper on the mattress in the back bed area make all the difference. There is so much snow on the roof that the door has some visible gaps to the outside... I turn on the bathroom exhaust fan so fresh air gets pulled in the gaps in the door, warmed, then pulled into the bathroom (warming it too) before being exhausted. Not a single drop of condensation, and haven't used propane once!

Still... spring can't come soon enough!