TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
dnurk01

Thanks for the responses everyone. And yes, our son is beside himself excited over our "transformer camper."

I've inspected all of the side caulking and the dicor on the roof shrouds and everything appears to be in good shape. It is just some mold discoloration and you're right it isn't a huge deal.

But it got me thinking...if I did want a like new look for a while maybe I could just get a small brush and paint the caulk with some Kilz. That stuff can cover anything. Anybody ever tried that? Might be way easier than recalling everything.

(Unrelated...sorry for the overly large avatar pic. I need to resize that thing)
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

I doubt that Kilz can handle a lot of flexing, and it's lifespan might be compromised by the extreme heat which can occur on the roof.

BTW, how about using this one? (Click it to get the "full size" which I recommend for you.)
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
Northwoods
Site Sponsor

I like that "Fifty Foot Rule". I make banners for our church and would fuss and fuss getting some tiny detail just so, to my total frustration. I apply the "The Fifty Foot Rule" and the work gets done and the congregation is none the wiser. Enjoy your TM. The little guy will really like it.
Northwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
moaboy

U don't have too much too lose in trying the Kilz. U might try it in a less than obvious place first and see how it sticks.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #15
tedbutler

Default mold remover

I acidentally found out the using Lyson complete cleaner with bleach full strength does much better than any black streak remover. It is also less expensive.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
firemanhessey

One of the dealers told me to use the Mr. Clean magic Erasers. He said to buy a couple boxes. About 10 bucks a box. 8 per box
firemanhessey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #17
bankhead

Used a product called Jo Max.(A Bleach Activator) Found in paint department
Hardware stores. Mix with water,bleach,jo-max, and a small bit of dishwasher soap per instructions on Jo-Max bottle. Cleans mildew,mold, and
black streak with minimal elbow grease. Mine cost 12.00 for a pint. Wear
rubber gloves. Worked well. Waxed TM after it dried. Looks New!

Makes about 10 gallons
Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
hjbourge
Site Sponsor

I've had some luck with simple green and elbow grease. Simple green even works for the black streaks on the side of the TM

2720SD TM 2010 model
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Prodigy brake controller
hjbourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #19
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

After washing off the dirt and bugs, I'll go over it again with a "Magic Eraser" and a towel, rung-out wet with a mixture of 8 to 1 simple green and water. It takes off everything with medium to light effort.
Each time I do this, it gets a little easier, because I will also wax a portion of the outer skin each time I wash it. After a season of use, the whole rig has been waxed. Yeah sure, I could do it all at once, but like I said on another post today " We learn my our mistakes"

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #20
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Becareful with Simple Green. I once saw a post on here of a camper for sale not far away. Once day it looked pretty good just needed a bath. The next day he washed it with Simple Green...sprayed it on...from top down. I think he sprayed the whole thing. He scrubbed the back and one side when he got to the front....it had melted the paint off in streaks down to the bare metal. We still considered looking at it and putting a camo film over it...buy
d changed out minds. I would think an 8 to one ratio...might be safe.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote