TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
robpap

Default What's the Right TM for My Family?

I have been looking at used motorhomes for the last 3-4 months and just recently stumbled on the TM and I think this is the way to go for us.

The question is which model? I would prefer to get something used but no more than 5-6 years old (unless you can get everything I need in an older model). My wife and I have two young girls (4&6) and would occasionally travel with a friend. Trips would primarily be weekend getaways within 2-3 hours of our home in Northern CA.

I want something that will be big enough for the next 4-5 years. Would expect to purchase another one at that point.

I have physical space to park either size of the TM.

Thanks - Rob
Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What tow vehicle will you plan to use?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
jellis

Default Size/Layout of TM's

You're going to get a LOT of (really good) advice and opinion from this forum. That's one of the great things going here.
Here's what we find great--and not so great--about our 3124KB:
1) Lots of storage. Both 3124s have an extra foot of length (over the similar 3023) in the two below-bed storage compartments (one outside, one inside). This really comes in handy, especially outside where you can keep "gets dirty" stuff like the grill, patio mat, etc, that you might not want inside.
2) King size bed. Not so much for the extra room, but because we can sleep aligned front to back with the trailer. This means we can each get up during the night without having to climb over the other.
3) The front bed is very versatile. It can be used as a bed for two adults without having to unfold anything, and you don't have to unmake the bed in order to have a table. It's also a great place to keep suitcases, duffels, cameras, hats, etc. It also is a nice resting place for our two dogs, who will hog the sofas otherwise. Plenty of room for my (nearly grown) nephew and both dogs to sleep, and it can be curtained off for privacy.
4) Two sofas means we each have a place to stretch out and read, watch TV or just hang out. Two sofas also means we have another alternative for beds, should we have extra guests, though I would never recommend more than four people in any TM except for maybe kids staying overnight.
5) The large sofa has extra room underneath in case you want the 40-gallon fresh water tank, which we have. It makes water use much easier when you don't have a water supply at the campsite. This larger sofa is longer than the sofa in the slide-outs. Appreciated by us taller campers.
6) The four drawers underneath the short sofa are another handy source of storage space.
7) Has 15-inch wheels and higher capacity axles than some models. Gives you a wide margin in load carrying capacity.
9) The table is large enough for two without the extra leaf; suitable for four to all sit at the same table with the leaf installed.

The disadvantages, vs other models.
1) Less "living room space" that's available with the slide out models. There's also less cubic space total in the KB model, for the same reason.
2) Can't store in a garage, even with the hinged tongue.
3) Less counter space than the 3124KS or 3326.
4) Can't use the swivel chair or 3-drawer "chest" option.
5) It's a little longer than the shorter models, so doesn't turn quite as sharply, but this hasn't been a problem for us.

Hope this helps. I'm sure that whichever model you end up with, you're really enjoy it.
Jon and Rita
Old 07-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
robpap

Default The type of vehicle I will use

For the next year I will be using a 2006 2WD Honda Pilot. When that lease ends in March I plan to get a Buick Enclave
Old 07-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
robpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis View Post
You're going to get a LOT of (really good) advice and opinion from this forum. That's one of the great things going here.
Here's what we find great--and not so great--about our 3124KB:
1) Lots of storage. Both 3124s have an extra foot of length (over the similar 3023) in the two below-bed storage compartments (one outside, one inside). This really comes in handy, especially outside where you can keep "gets dirty" stuff like the grill, patio mat, etc, that you might not want inside.
2) King size bed. Not so much for the extra room, but because we can sleep aligned front to back with the trailer. This means we can each get up during the night without having to climb over the other.
3) The front bed is very versatile. It can be used as a bed for two adults without having to unfold anything, and you don't have to unmake the bed in order to have a table. It's also a great place to keep suitcases, duffels, cameras, hats, etc. It also is a nice resting place for our two dogs, who will hog the sofas otherwise. Plenty of room for my (nearly grown) nephew and both dogs to sleep, and it can be curtained off for privacy.
4) Two sofas means we each have a place to stretch out and read, watch TV or just hang out. Two sofas also means we have another alternative for beds, should we have extra guests, though I would never recommend more than four people in any TM except for maybe kids staying overnight.
5) The large sofa has extra room underneath in case you want the 40-gallon fresh water tank, which we have. It makes water use much easier when you don't have a water supply at the campsite. This larger sofa is longer than the sofa in the slide-outs. Appreciated by us taller campers.
6) The four drawers underneath the short sofa are another handy source of storage space.
7) Has 15-inch wheels and higher capacity axles than some models. Gives you a wide margin in load carrying capacity.
9) The table is large enough for two without the extra leaf; suitable for four to all sit at the same table with the leaf installed.

The disadvantages, vs other models.
1) Less "living room space" that's available with the slide out models. There's also less cubic space total in the KB model, for the same reason.
2) Can't store in a garage, even with the hinged tongue.
3) Less counter space than the 3124KS or 3326.
4) Can't use the swivel chair or 3-drawer "chest" option.
5) It's a little longer than the shorter models, so doesn't turn quite as sharply, but this hasn't been a problem for us.

Hope this helps. I'm sure that whichever model you end up with, you're really enjoy it.
Jon and Rita
Referring to your disadvantage #1 - There are TM's with slideouts? I didn't see that on the Trailmanor.com website. Where you just referring to slide outs in general?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
robpap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
What tow vehicle will you plan to use?

Bill
The Pilot has tow capacity of 4500 lbs
Old 07-15-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

The slide out jellis is referring to is the front slide. Some models (such as my 2720) have a full size bed in the front, where only the bed pulls out. In other models (the SL's) the whole front end (including the floor) pulls out.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

2 Children, 2 Adults, 1 Friend(??), & 4,200 Lbs tow capacity.
Each of your five campers will have their own clothing, food, and toy needs (weight*).

You want to manage payload while having enough sleeping space for everyone.

Consider: A 2619 or 2720

These two models offer a good mix of price, space/sleeping capacity, and weight while providing minimum stress for TV.

* What I think happens to everyone after their first outing is that they start to figure out that they want/need howi'dforgetthat/whydidn't anyonementionthat/toys/accessories/stuff/younameit..

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
robpap

kid's friends joining us for the weekend
Old 07-15-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
Freedom

In your case, I wouldn't consider the 2619. We have one and wish we had bought the 2720 because of the queen size bed in the back. The 2720 also gives you some extra storage space in the back. With small kids you can put them "sideways" (Fore and aft as opposed to side to side) on the back bed and fit more of them and they won't roll out. It would also make it so you don't have to make up the dinette every night for sleeping. Three or four little girls on that back bed would have a ball!

The Pilot ought to be able to tow either of the smaller TMs, but the Buick Enclave, if the specs are correct, would be marginal at best, IMHO. I don't see anything about the Buick Enclave having a trailering package available. The 3.6L engine paired with a 3.16 differential seems too light. Again this is my opinion - I tow with a GMC Jimmy with a 4.3L and 3.73 gears and there are times that it's almost inadequate.