TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
traveling girl

Default Renovating a Trailmanor

We just looked at a 2000 3124 KS and it is in good condition. We are seriously considering it. Everything works, but I have a few questions.

We don't like the sofa pattern or the carpet. I think the carpet is an easy inexpensive fix, but what about having the sofa recovered - can it be removed from the TM easily? Has anyone done this?

Next, the A/C is not factory. Would this be a problem?

Thank you for your help.

Traveling Girl
Old 02-16-2005, 10:11 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Since no one has replied, I'll do my best to answer your questions. We have a 2720 (non-slide) model. When the top half is open and the beds aren't pushed out to the ends, there is room to move things in and out through the opened top ends that extend out over the bottom end. Possibly the sofa could be detached from the floor and lifted out through the top half somehow, if it doesn't fit through the door. I've only seen 4 TM's inside though, and they were all 2720's, so I'm really at a loss to try to size up what needs to be done with your size model.

If no one else replies, you should call the factory. They are really nice folks there and are very helpful. They could answer your question better than I can.

As to the non-factory A/C, is it on the roof, or? I'm not an electrical expert (to say the least!), but it might help to know what kind it is so that others might offer some input.

Any help here from other TM'ers would be appreciated...
Old 02-17-2005, 11:24 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Re carpet: There was at least one thread on this board about removing carpet. It was a while back (maybe two years), and I think the replacement was done by Denny_A. You should be able to find it by clicking "Search".

Re the sofa: If I recall correctly, the "sofa" is not a single unit such as you would find in your living room. It is actually a collection of smaller pieces, all of which should be easy to remove from the trailer. The seat part is one piece, the back is another piece, and each arm is a separate piece. The first two simply lift out - this is how the sofa makes into a bed. The arms are bolted in place, I think into a steel frame which is bolted into the floor. You don't have to remove the frame - you should be able to remove each arm individually and carry it out of the trailer. In other words, none of this should be hard to do. BUT bear in mind that I am describing my 2720SL, not the 3124KS you are looking at.

Re the air conditioner: You say it is not factory, and ask if this will be a problem. I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you asking if a non-factory a/c is a problem to start with? Or are you saying you would like to replace the non-factory a/c with "factory-style" air, and wonder if it will be a problem to do so?

If the first, then the answer is problably No, a non-factory a/c shouldn't be a problem if it was well-installed in the first place. For years, TM used a standard household window air conditioner, installed it in a kitchen cabinet, and vented it through an opening cut into the curb side wall of the trailer. It worked well, but it took up some precious kitchen cabinet space. If that is where the a/c is now installed, it should be OK. Rocky Mountain Ray recently retrofitted his 2720SL with a side-mount air conditioner - you can search for the thread describing his conversion.

On the other hand, if you mean that you want to remove a side-mount air conditioner and put in a roof-mount air conditioner (as the factory has done since 2002, I think), then the answer is that you problably CANNOT do this. The added weight on the roof would require new torsion bars, and I would expect that the wiring is not in place. This project gets out of hand in a hurry.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
traveling girl

Thank you for your help If it is still for sale, we will take the information y'all have given us and go look at it again this weekend.

Dorothy
Old 02-21-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
jouster

Default The A/C is roof mounted

Dear Traveling Girl, The A/C is roof mounted over the bed. Your objection to it was that the electric cord ran from the unit to a plug just below the bed. You have to insert the cord in a holder taped the the ceiling and another holder taped to the bath wall to keep it out of the way. It is rather unsightly. You also have to put it in the holders when you set up the rig and reverse it when you take the rig down. We need to inspect the installation and turn the a/c on to see how it works.

signed DH