TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
ib4classics

Default Water Heater (Suburban SW6DE)

Going through the systems on the new to us 2006 3023. As I expected the anode rod is pretty well used. The structure is about 85% there but it has lots of small holes and is caked with calcium deposits. That part of the fix is pretty straight forward.
Today I looked a little closer while the gas burner was on and noticed large chuncks, and small of metal laying on the bottom of the burner chamber.
There is a steel plate that runs the length of the burner chamber and the gas flame burns under it.
I got the manual out and it does not appear that the metal plate is rmovable or replaceable. I think there are two rivits midway on the right side as you are looking at the burner chamber.
Does ayone have experience with this situation? What is the cause and effect?
Old 07-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

If your anode rod is 85% remaining, you don't need to replace it. It won't hurt, but it's not necessary. Theoretically, it provides protection until it is 0% remaining, although I wouldn't let it go that long. There are a number of pictures on the web that illustrate what a spent rod looks like, including this one:

What color were these "metal" chunks? I ask because if they are a blue or purple-like color, according to the Suburban factory, it's actually probably part of the porcelain lining of the tank. The lining breaks apart over time as water pressure, road jarring, and heat all do their magic, and the pieces will flow out when you flush the tank. Of course, this exposes the metal tank to water, and that will initiate the rusting process, and the heater's eventual demise. In such a situation, there's no point in replacing the water heater until you start getting rusty water, or it leaks, and a leak will begin as a pinhole. But since the pinhole is covered by the foam insulation, you'll just find a puddle on the floor. Then it's time to swap it out.

I used to store my water heater full simply to provide additional water here at our house in the event of an earthquake. But to maximize its longevity, I've gone back to storing it empty. I still keep the fresh water tank full though.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
ib4classics

Dave, the chunks are in the burner chamber, not in the water heater itself. No rust came out when I removed the anode rod and I looked in with a flahlight and I do not see rust.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ib4classics View Post
Dave, the chunks are in the burner chamber, not in the water heater itself. No rust came out when I removed the anode rod and I looked in with a flahlight and I do not see rust.
Ah, sorry, I missed that.
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
O2BOutside

I am looking to replace my anode for the water heater and was wondering were other folks have ordered them from
Old 08-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BOutside View Post
I am looking to replace my anode for the water heater and was wondering were other folks have ordered them from

Should be a standard item - carried by any RV dealer's parts department. Always a good idea to bring along the old one, if possible. It also helps to know the hot water heater make and model number.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM   #7
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

You can easily get one at Camping world & sometimes eve WalMart.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #8
Larry Gault

Camco number for Suburban hot water heater is 11563. Camping world has them for under $15 bucks or several places on internet for as low as $8.99.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
PopBeavers

fwiw, the few times I have checked my local Camping World, in San Martin, CA, they only carry a generic model, that is slightly smaller than the on that came in my TM.

Mine is presently finishing the 5th camping season, and it appears it will last several more years. I intend to get the same one that came with it, even if I have to order it online.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Gary&Mary

Another FWIW, Camping World has them on the retail floor, you don't even have to go to the parts counter. They only carry two, a long one and a short one. I think this pretty much covers all RV water heaters.

My TM has the "Suburban" brand water heater, which takes the long one. Best to take your model number, just in case.