TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2002, 02:20 AM   #1
Wrench

Default Rear half latches

On my 3 hour drive home from picking up my new 1995 3023, I stopped frequently to check that all was well. I tightened the spare tire bracket bolts once.

I also noticed all four courner latches had come off the j-hooks. I tightened the adjustable part of the latches a turn or two and relatched them. The tension seemed right. Not too loose or tight. The front latches stayed latched the rest of the way. The rear latches were latched the next time I stopped, but both came off again once I was off the Intestate and was on rougher (but good) roads.  The latches were off again when I arrived home.

Inspecting the j-hooks on the rear half, it looks like they have been replaced. They are also both angled downward some as if from being pulled on too hard. I'm wondering if the "unlatched latch" problem is common, or if it is perhaps due to the j-hooks being angled downward. I was thinking of mounting the j-hooks to a small (i.e., 1" x 3" piece of aluminum sheet metal and screwing that to the rear half to help keep them flat against the side. Ideas?
Old 07-24-2002, 02:47 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Rear half latches

Hard to know what may have happened.  I seldom have this problem, but since Memorial Day last year, have always put hitch pins in the holes of the latches.  In this way, I am preventing the latches from opening.  This is a pretty low cost way to resolve your problem.

Regarding the latches themselves, I have bent three of them through rushing to close the unit.  When you are lowering either half of the trailer, before latching via the stirrups, check to see that the latches haven't flipped up so they would be bent as you secure the top portion.  While they will survive, they will make it more difficult to close properly.

Old 07-24-2002, 03:18 AM   #3
Gene

A member of the TrailManor TrailBlazers makes replacement latches that greatly reduces vibration whan traveling. Also it is designed so that it is impossible to unlatch. It consists of machined round metal piece that attaches to the body and an eye bolt that hooks on to the metal piece. Then a small hitch pin is inserted through the metal piece to secure the eye bold and the clamp. It costs me less than $40 dollars. This person does not have e-mail, but if you are interested, e-mail me for his name and address. [email protected].
Old 07-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
Chris_Bauer

Because we keep our TM in storage in Texas we have always used small locks on the latches even while traveling.  This last weekend I didn't put them on when we returned from San Antonio to McAllen.  One of the latches popped open.  I guess it is a good idea to use something to keep them closed.  
Old 07-26-2002, 02:10 AM   #5

I have locks on 2 of the 4 hitches and if still had them pop off.  They do not open up, they just come off when you hit a bump and the top of the trailer compresses enough.  I just try to get them as tight as I can and keep checking them.  
Old 07-26-2002, 07:22 AM   #6
Larry_Loo

About a year ago I decided to put small padlocks on all of the corner latches, thinking that they might add an additional measure of security for the closed-down trailer. On the first trip after doing that a couple of the front latches popped off. The locks were still locked tight. As trainguy 2 mentioned, they just pop off. Apparently the hook on the shell side is not deep enough to keep the latches secured at all times. During most of our trips the corner latches have not come off - so fixing them has not been a high priority item for me. I think that some other type of draw latch might be more effective (they come in many different designs-some having holding strengths in excess of 1,500 lb.) but then again it might have increased the TM's cost. In manufacturing everything's a compromise. :-X :-X
Old 07-26-2002, 11:43 AM   #7
Wrench

Yep, that's it, they just pop off the hook, still in the latched position. I wondered if it were a common problem. I think I'll first try a small backing plate between the j-hooks and skin to assure they are lying flat.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:09 AM   #8
oilspot

Mine seem to pop off when the trailer is flexing and bouncing on the road.  It doesn't seem to be a question of alignment as much as a question of "play" in the closed position.

Mine got really bad on the last trip, and I noticed that two of the rubber stops on the frame (which were very worn) were missing.  I think this introduced more play into the trailer.

The stops are screwed & glued to the rear bumper and front tongue right where the ends of the tops rest on the frame....

My theory is that replacing thes should help alleviate some of my problem.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:11 AM   #9
Happytrails

Oilspot, if I'm not mistaken, it's the same rubber that's up in your pocket stops. I ordered 4 of em, with shims, and a new plastic latch to hold the TM door open, and I believe the shipping was more than the stuff! I think $7.80 or something like that was all......Just call TM and order em, they're not much. Just wondering if other people with that problem are having it for the same reason.....missing rubber?

Happytrails.....