TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
cochise

Default Self adhesive velcro

Wife and I had decided that to keep the Elkmont 24 trailer cooler and to keep the morning light out, we needed to cover the vents. I measured 14" x 14" and used the very light-weight foil covered bubble wrap type insulation material. In each corner I placed a 1” x 1.5” piece of Velcro, and placed it on the vent frame after removing the protective plastic. Perfect fit. A month later we went to the trailer as it has not been used as we are awaiting warranty work on it, and what did we see? The vent covers was on the floor and the bed, and a picture I had hung with Velcro was also down on the seat.

The heat in the trailer (Southern Arizona) had melted the glue and everything just gave up. So be careful if you use Velcro to fasten anything with. I am in the process of making some “L” shaped rails that can be attached to the vent trim and than I can slide the shade into the groove and hopefully that will stay up.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Consumer grade velcro found in most stores uses a glue that will not tolerate heat. You can get velcro with high temp adhesive that will allow you to use your original solution.
See link below for one source.
http://cableorganizer.com/velcro-adh...-adhesive.html
Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
cochise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Consumer grade velcro found in most stores uses a glue that will not tolerate heat. You can get velcro with high temp adhesive that will allow you to use your original solution.
See link below for one source.
http://cableorganizer.com/velcro-adh...-adhesive.html
Thanks for the Heads-up. I was not aware that it would be a problem, otherwise I would not have started the project using that type of velcro. Do you have any idea as to how to remove whatever glue is left behind? I tried the old "Gooe-off" but that did not do much. And I am a little weary of using acetone or paint thinned as it may dissolve the plastic framing.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
rumbleweed

I use Goo Gone and it has worked for me. Just soak it a few times and let it sit.