TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Scott O

Default D & S Screen Door

This is not meant to be a product plug, but I wanted to give a report on my use of the D & S Screen Door as it has been widely discussed over the past year or so. I hope this doesn't violate any list policies. Anyhow, we have had the screen door for several months and this is the first time we have had our 2720 SL TM out to use it. We are spending the week at Campland in San Diego. Weather is in the mid 70s to low 80s, perfect for leaving the door open! After re-acquainting ourselves with the install directions, we find the screen door is possibly the best improvement we have made to our TM. There was some diddling with the initial alignment, as you are basically trying to fit a perfect rectangle (the screen) into an imperfect rectangle (the TM door opening). But it now fits flawlessly and does not restrict the operation of the door at all. It is a dang site better than the TM screen strips in both looks and operation. It will be a perminant part of our trailer equipment kit, as long as the weather is warm!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
cali camping

Here is the storage method we came up with for use during transport and when at the site and the screen is not in use:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01856 (Medium).JPG
Views:	521
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2880   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01858 (Medium).JPG
Views:	566
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	2881  

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Cadillac Escalade EXT, Prodigy
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Ingenius! So presumably losing the ability to push the bed in completely does not cause a problem when closing up?

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali camping View Post
Here is the stowage provisions I came up with for use during transport and when at the site and the screen is not in use:
OK, that is really ingenious !!!

Chap
Old 08-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Here is the stowage provisions I came up with for use during transport and when at the site and the screen is not in use:
That is really clever!

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Tuscany Bandit

How is it secured? Velcro?

Jerry
Old 08-15-2008, 12:13 AM   #7
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Ingenius! So presumably losing the ability to push the bed in completely does not cause a problem when closing up?

Dave
No functionality whatsoever was lost using this install method. The bed is pushed in normally and clearance is maintained.

2007 2720SD, Dual 80 watt solar panels, flat screen LCD TV mounted on side wall, 210 Ah AGM Battery, Link 10, Dual Honda 2000EUi's
Old 08-15-2008, 12:20 AM   #8
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany Bandit View Post
How is it secured? Velcro?

Jerry
It is secured using the same nylon clips used to hold the upper half of the entry door closed during transport. TM calls them "Turnbuttons" and they cost $1.20 each. I used 2 on the bottom and 1 on each of the sides and top. I did have to replace the screw and nut D & S used on the fabrication of the screen door with aluminum rivets and backing washers to get the screen to lay flush against the back of the TM.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:04 PM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
It is secured using the same nylon clips used to hold the upper half of the entry door closed during transport. TM calls them "Turnbuttons" and they cost $1.20 each. I used 2 on the bottom and 1 on each of the sides and top. I did have to replace the screw and nut D & S used on the fabrication of the screen door with aluminum rivets and backing washers to get the screen to lay flush against the back of the TM.
cali camping, I want to try out your screen storage soon, but have a couple of questions.

I had to replace the screw and nut with a rivet on the hinge side of the screen.....the nut was hanging up on the door flange. In doing this, the long part of the rivet is now opposite the clamps, meaning they would be up against the TM in your storage position. Do you think there is room there if I used a bumper to cushion that part, that the clamps would still clear the back wall of the upper section. I haven't measured it yet, but thought I would get your input 1st.

I don't think that the bed support will be a problem if I move the screen almost to the rear storage compartment door.

Thanks, Chap
Old 08-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #10
cali camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
cali camping, I want to try out your screen storage soon, but have a couple of questions.

I had to replace the screw and nut with a rivet on the hinge side of the screen.....the nut was hanging up on the door flange. In doing this, the long part of the rivet is now opposite the clamps, meaning they would be up against the TM in your storage position. Do you think there is room there if I used a bumper to cushion that part, that the clamps would still clear the back wall of the upper section. I haven't measured it yet, but thought I would get your input 1st.

I don't think that the bed support will be a problem if I move the screen almost to the rear storage compartment door.

Thanks, Chap
Chap,
The reason I replaced the screws and nuts that it came with was the clearance issue. I simply replaced the original fasteners with flush mount pop rivets. The TM is in storage now, so i can't take any additional pictures. As I recall there will be absolutely no room for anything on the "outdoor" side of the screen once it's mounted in the stowed position if you want to use the nylon clips from TM. I think the red locking handles would have at least another inch of clearance with the TM closed up using my method, but it obviously was hard to see!
Any chance you could remove your existing rivets and install some new ones that would make them flush mount on the side you needed?