TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #41
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by namklg View Post
Thank you for the battery pictures.... I am just learning.. I believe the the inverter is within the system that the dealer installed. So, I just need to understand how to hook the batteries together. Right now there are fuses off of both positive and negative on the battery.
I think I will order the correct battery cable for the system. I think several folks have ordered from 1 or 2 places in Arizona.
karen
Karen,

This is a very important question so don't guess........do you have (2) 6V batteries or (2) 12V batteries. There is a difference in the way that they are wired.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #42
namklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
Karen,

This is a very important question so don't guess........do you have (2) 6V batteries or (2) 12V batteries. There is a difference in the way that they are wired.
Hi,
Right now there is 1 12V battery. I would like to hook up a second 12V battery, but I need to see if the system will allow that to happen. I need to check the wiring gauges, the controller and such.
thanks,
karen
Old 10-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #43
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by namklg View Post
Hi,
Right now there is 1 12V battery. I would like to hook up a second 12V battery, but I need to see if the system will allow that to happen. I need to check the wiring gauges, the controller and such.
thanks,
karen
Hooking up (2) 12V batteries in parallel will still give you 12V......nothing else changes except you will have more capacity.

Whatever you do....DO NOT hook up your batteries like I have my (2) 6V batteries hooked up. I have them hooked up in series, which doubles the voltage to 12V. If you do that, you will have 24V and may damage your converter.

The second issue is, it is not recommended to hook (2) 12V batteries in parallel unless the batteries are matched. They are best if they are the same batteries, purchased at the same time and built in the same batch. Dissimilar batteries will have a hard time balancing and may cause issues. If you are going to use dissimilar batteries, it may be best to install them with a switch so that when one battery gets week, you can switch to the other battery.

*******underlined terms corrected********
Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #44
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Whatever you do....DO NOT hook up your batteries like I have my (2) 6V batteries hooked up. I have them hooked up in parallel, which doubles the voltage to 12V. If you do that, you will have 24V and may damage your converter.

The second issue is, it is not recommended to hook (2) 12V batteries in series unless that batteries are matched. They are best if they are the same batteries, purchased at the same time and built in the same batch. Dissimilar batteries will have a hard time balancing and may cause issues. If you are going to use dissimilar batteries, it may be best to install them with a switch so that when one battery gets week, you can switch to the other battery.
Just to clarify Wayne, you've got series and parallel mixed up.

In order to connect two 6v batteries together to get 12v, you wire them in series.

In order to connect two 12v batteries together to get 12v, you wire them in parallel.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 PM   #45
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Just to clarify Wayne, you've got series and parallel mixed up.

In order to connect two 6v batteries together to get 12v, you wire them in series.

In order to connect two 12v batteries together to get 12v, you wire them in parallel.

Dave
Yep!!!!! I do that all the time......dyslexia, I think...........errors corrected.......thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #46
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

One way that might help you remember is to think of a flashlight....like those long Mag Lites that make better weapons than flashlights. You stick 18 D cells or whatever in them, one after the other, sequentially, in a series. In that arrangement, the polarity of the batteries is + - + - + - + - etc, such that they are connected in series.

If you can remember that, then you know "the other way" is parallel.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #47
namklg

Quote:
Hooking up (2) 12V batteries in parallel will still give you 12V......nothing else changes except you will have more capacity.

Whatever you do....DO NOT hook up your batteries like I have my (2) 6V batteries hooked up. I have them hooked up in series, which doubles the voltage to 12V. If you do that, you will have 24V and may damage your converter.

The second issue is, it is not recommended to hook (2) 12V batteries in parallel unless the batteries are matched. They are best if they are the same batteries, purchased at the same time and built in the same batch. Dissimilar batteries will have a hard time balancing and may cause issues. If you are going to use dissimilar batteries, it may be best to install them with a switch so that when one battery gets week, you can switch to the other battery.

*******underlined terms corrected********
Hi Wayne,

The first battery was just installed last Friday (the 15th), so I think I am ok with the age. I may have a difficult time in getting one from the same lot, but I will take that risk. I want the extra storage for dry camping and to allow the solar to do its work when we are away from the camper. This way, we have many more options on location and places to stay.

I did learn from my portable solar charger, that parallel is ok. So, this is my plan.

Why did you go to 2 6V batteries and not 2 12V? Again, I am looking for extended electrical use when dry camping.

Thanks,
karen
Old 10-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #48
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There is a diagram in this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7899

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #49
namklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
There is a diagram in this thread

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=7899

Bill
Thank you all for your assistance. I think it will be most cost effective to get only 1 new battery right now and use them until they die!

karen
Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #50
PopBeavers

Where did you get the battery box?

I would like to find a low profile battery box that would hold a pair of group 27 12 volt batteries.

Alternatively I could use two boxes as I do now for the pair of group 24 batteries. The problem with the battery boxes I have seen is that they are just a little too tall. Because of my swing tongue, the battery tray is so far back that I can barely get the battery covers off when the TM is closed and it is impossible to put them back on when the TM is closed.

Something 3/8 inch shorter would be adequate I think.

I might just use my table saw and cut off either the top of the battery box or the bottom of the cover.

Moving the batteries to the rear storage compartment is not an option I want to use. I already have it full of stuff.