TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tips and Tricks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
rockerga

The bottom line as you put it so perfectly is: "I think it is a real kick to be watching a video out in the boondocks where I am miles from hookups and not even running the generator." To each his own on the quality but I could not agree more!!! That is why we purchased the TM...for luxury camping!

On the other subject; the cost for "wireless audiophile quality" at an acceptable size/weight is horrendous at this time in relation to a sensible TM application. I will ask my son to delve deeper into this subject just for giggles and personal knowledge. He had already advised me to stay away from the wireless systems due to one or more of the above reasons from the beginning. (But also knowing my ears)
Old 02-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
pbuck1

Some good suggestions here - thanks.
At the moment I am leaning towards building a cabinet which will go next to the fridge and hold the subwoofer, center speaker and DVD/amp, with the TV sitting on top (Bill's right - I had already thought wiring the roof a bit too difficult).The surround speakers can be mounted underneath the front TM cabinet about where the "elegant" lamps used to go ( I removed them) and I can use the existing TM speaker wiring. For the front speakers I think I will just put them right next to the TV on top of the new cabinet. When watching a movie, I can move them apart onto the fridge countertop (L) and the vinyl flap "shelf" (R) to get a better stereo image. With this, all the wiring for the whole system (amp, speakers, AC, antenna cable) can be confined to the fridge cabinet area.

I'm also thinking that if I hang the cabinet (using hanging cabinet brackets) from the side of the fridge cabinet, and there is enough room I can design it with the necessary clearances so that the slider will close past it (i.e. floor slides underneath and slider wall and table slides behind). This will allow the cabinet to be semipermanent, requiring only to remove (or fold down) the TV when closing up.

I'm looking at the Philips 3400/37B but also the Samsung HT-P3800 as candidates for the HTiB system. Bill, have you had any of the problems mentioned on user reviews for the Philips system, i.e. difficulty playing DVDs or hissing speakers?

Paul
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
Bill & Lisa

Default Wireless Surround Sound

Bill and I purchased wireless speakers which connect to power (we ran a cord from the outlet on the bathroom wall near the inverter box to the bed pan and up to the center back of the bed and enclosed it in "on the wall" conduit) and the amplifier connects to a power source near the TV. The amp connects via audio output from our flatscreen DVD/TV. For those who are not audophiles, the sound is acceptable and adjustable in volume at both the speakers and the amp.

As for mounting, we used velcro mounted shelving from www.shelfexpressions.com. The corner units mount nicely on the back & street and back & curb side walls. We used the 24" high shelves. The shelves also allow us a "night table" as we only use one speaker per shelving unit. Be sure you use clear industrial/marine strength velcro and clean the walls with alcohol before application. MORE IS BETTER when it comes to velcro and shelving. A word to the wise--place the velcro exactly the same on each shelf back. It makes installing the units easier as you don't have to worry about which one goes where.