TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #1
markandanne

Default Winter Camping with Kids

We just returned from a week long trip with the kids, and one thing that I noticed that I hadn't thought of prior to this trip is that you need to think about how you are going to amuse the kids after it gets dark. It's not the weather that's a problem - we can bundle them up and they will play out in the woods for hours. But now that the time has changed, by 5 o'clock it's getting dark.

I keep forgetting my star charts, which would be a good thing to have in the evening. My charcoal grill lets me get around most fire bans so toasting marshmallows is always a popular thing to do in the dark. They're learning to play Scrabble on our travel set. And then there's always the TV/DVD player, although it's volume has to compete with the noise of the HVAC.

But I'd like to come up with more ideas if anyone has any...
Old 11-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have many travel-sized games in the TM.

Card games are great: the kids love to play rummy, blackjack, poker, hearts, Egyptian War (that gets a bit loud sometimes). We can play cards for hours.

Sorry, backgammon, cribbage, checkers, chinese checkers, and then there's always Pictionary (all you really need is the word cards and some scratch paper). I've found a lot of travel-sized games at the local dollar store. We always bring books for everyone and our led headlights for reading.

We usually save the DVD's until we're just about ready to go to sleep.

I should also bring along copies of our star chart, I haven't thought about that for a long time.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
arniland

Default Night skies

Mark & Anne,

I would like to suggest getting a copy of H. A. Rey's book, The Stars. He also wrote the Curious George books. We got our copy nearly three decades ago on the recommendation of a USPS Ranger out west. It is written with younger folks in mind. Get a paperback copy and leave it in the TM. It's a great introduction to astronomy for kids.

Arn

Arnold in Maryland
TVs - 2003 GMC Yukon XL 6L
TM - 2007 2720SL
arniland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniland View Post
Mark & Anne,

I would like to suggest getting a copy of H. A. Rey's book, The Stars. He also wrote the Curious George books. We got our copy nearly three decades ago on the recommendation of a USPS Ranger out west. It is written with younger folks in mind. Get a paperback copy and leave it in the TM. It's a great introduction to astronomy for kids.

Arn
My mom bought one for us a long time ago, along with our star chart. It is a good book for kids (and me too!). I still use it when there is something special to look for in the night sky. It's one of those books that you hang onto forever.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 PM   #5
markandanne

Thanks for the recommendation. Anne just put the book on her shopping list.

My next goal is to get a good bird book; I have trouble identifying all of the birds here in CO since they are often different than the ones I grew up with back in NC, and I would like to have identified the many hawks that we saw on the fence posts in OK and TX. If anyone has suggestions (that would be accessible for the kids too), I'm open for ideas...
Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 AM   #6
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Bird Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandanne View Post
My next goal is to get a good bird book; I have trouble identifying all of the birds here in CO since they are often different than the ones I grew up with back in NC, and I would like to have identified the many hawks that we saw on the fence posts in OK and TX. If anyone has suggestions (that would be accessible for the kids too), I'm open for ideas...
We picked up a somewhat different kind of bird identification book at Costco last year. It's titled 'The Backyard Birdsong Guide'. What's clever about this guide is not only are there the usual illustrations, habitat maps, and descriptions of the birds (about 130) etc, but the bird's songs are contained in an audio player that's part of the hardcover book. So you can hear what each of the birds sounds like. The publisher apparently provides guides for different parts of the country, as the one we have is 'Eastern and Central North America'. At first I thought the idea of an audio guide was a bit of a gimmick, but the book/audio is nicely done.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
PopBeavers

Depending on the age of the kids, the chemical glow lights are fun for at least one evening of playing catch in the dark.

Baking chocolate chip cookies after dinner will keep them occupied with anticipation for a least a little while.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

How about going to bed early? On our recent 12-day trip to AZ, UT, and NV, we were in bed by 8:30 every night and up by 6am. I hadn't been to bed that early in a long time, but it makes for a solid night sleep, no alarm clock, a full day of daylight, and an evening long enough for a drink but not too long where you're basically watching the clock waiting till 10-11pm so you can go to bed.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I hate to admit it, but baking chocolate chip cookies keeps ME in anticipation! A fistful of warm cookies, and a drink before an early bedtime - who could ask for more?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Plus, using the oven to cook the cookies keeps the TM warm and toasty!

On our last trip we baked a frozen dutch apple pie. We didn't have room for it in the refrigerator, so we left it in the oven. I forgot all about it and found the last slice of it in the oven when we'd been home for about a week .