TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
skiman747

Default Settle or keep looking

I am new to the TM seen, but have been looking for about 2 weeks at all the different used TM's. I will be traveling with DW and 10 year old son. With space and towing capacity I am trying to limit to the 3023 and also would consider a 2720. I found a 02 2720 SD in what looks like great shape for $10K. It is a private owner which keeps me from paying sales tax in Arizona. It has the AC mounted on the front roof, which looks like one of the big improvements around this year. I would like 2 fixed beds, but would probably look at this unit to be more of a short term hold and still sell it in a year or two for close to the purchase price? I can spend more for the right unit, but I am too cheap to over pay. Do I keep looking for the right unit or do I settle for something now with the intention of moving up later. Anyone use this setup with one kid using the dinette as a bed? I know the decision is ultimately mine and patience would probably eventually payoff, but good used TM's at good prices in the general area seem to be hard to come by!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We too were looking for a 2720 with the 2 fixed beds. After about 9 months of not being able to find one close for the right price, we ended up driving clear across the country to buy a 2720SL at an incredible deal. We wanted the extra full time bed for company, but now that we have the SL model, we love the extra floor space. In fact, if we eventually get a 3023 and it has 2 couches, I think I will pull one out to give more floor space. The floor space is great for pets, little kids, and makes the TM look bigger.

Obviously, you only use the beds while sleeping. So one option, if your son goes to bed before you, is to let him sleep in your bed until you are ready to hit the sack. Then have him move over to the dinette bed. (you are camping after all, it's not a permanent situation.) Even if you bought a 2720 (not an SD), and your son went to bed before you, you'd probably find yourselves not being able to talk much because you'd be sitting at the dinette next to his bed. If I were in your shoes, an SD would be the best option in the 2720 series, followed closely by the SL, since the SD has better dining options.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
skiman747

$10K for a 02 is probably not an incredible deal but do you think it is a good deal?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
PopBeavers

At some age the 10 yo will want more privacy and prefer to sleep in a tent, at which time a second bed is not necessary.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman747 View Post
I am new to the TM seen, but have been looking for about 2 weeks at all the different used TM's. I will be traveling with DW and 10 year old son. With space and towing capacity I am trying to limit to the 3023 and also would consider a 2720. I found a 02 2720 SD in what looks like great shape for $10K. It is a private owner which keeps me from paying sales tax in Arizona. It has the AC mounted on the front roof, which looks like one of the big improvements around this year. I would like 2 fixed beds, but would probably look at this unit to be more of a short term hold and still sell it in a year or two for close to the purchase price? I can spend more for the right unit, but I am too cheap to over pay. Do I keep looking for the right unit or do I settle for something now with the intention of moving up later. Anyone use this setup with one kid using the dinette as a bed? I know the decision is ultimately mine and patience would probably eventually payoff, but good used TM's at good prices in the general area seem to be hard to come by!

The Internet gives you great access to what's for sale. With a TrailManor, it really comes down to the condition it is in, because they really haven't changed all that much compared to other brands. If your Google searches aren't finding better deals, you're probably in the right ballpark for today's market. I'm sure people will discount a bit more to you at the end of the season, but then iyou lose the use of it for this season, too. The advantage of a $10,000 '02 is that it's rate of depreciation ought to have bottomed, I would think, and it is still new enough to have fairly up to date appliances and features.

Let us know how you come out!
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
mtnguy

If the 02 is good condition, that is probably a pretty good price. NADA on my 2003 2720 is somewhere in the $12, 000 ballpark, and that might go up in proportion to gas prices.

Chap
Old 05-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
alexcua

I think the 2002 has a wooden frame roof compared to the 03 which is all aluminum. Check the corners of the trailer. If it is angular, it is a wooden frame. If round it is aluminum. The 02 - 03 was a transition year for TM. If you decide to get the 02, get a ladder and feel the entire roof with your hands to look for imperfections. This may indicate a roof leak issue.