TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #1
Peercy

Default Jeep Wrangler as TV for 2720?

Hi everyone,

We're seriously looking at the 2720 model. We're wondering if our unlimited Jeep Wrangler, the model with the longer wheel base, can tow the 2720. It's rated to tow 3500 lbs. We'd be towing in the Rockies (in Colorado). We're concerned about the wheel base and whether it would be safe, especially going down steep, curvy hills.

If that doesn't work, does anyone have experience with a Dodge Dakota (club cab, V8) as a TV for the 2720?

Thanks for helping!
KD
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Peercy

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info and the link, Leon.
Yes, the wheel base is 103" so technically the wrangler can't pull a 20' trailer. But other threads I read pointed out that those guidelines are for full size trailers. not popups.

I'd love to hear from people using TVs with wheel bases around 103" and see what they experienced.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

KD
Old 06-21-2007, 02:14 AM   #3
USAFCOP

I tow my 3023 with my Liberty that has a 104" WB, and have had no stability problems at all. I know my Liberty weighs a bit more than the Unlimited Wrangler, I do not know if that would be an issue or not. I do have the tow package with heavy duty cooling, and a Reese WDH (750 if I remember right). It is a tough haul up the rockies (especially eastbound up to the tunnel on I 70. The rest of the time, I can go between 50 and 75 MPH at 3200RPM, if I push to 4500RPM, I can maintain 75, but there is no reason to get RPMs much past 3500RPM for a long period of time (will wear out your motor and heat you up). A wieght distribution hitch will be a mandatory as well.

Both the LJ and KJ have coil springs, and as long as your jeep has both sway bars on (not removed for off road use) you should be fine. TMs tow like they are not even there, even my old '94, it tows better than my old pop up trailer I replaced, coming back from Yellowstone last week, I almost forgot the trailer was there!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Peercy

Default Thanks for the info

Thanks, Air force cop! What you said was really encouraging and I appreciate that you took the time to answer.