TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
brookside

Default 3124KS and the Furnace Placement

We are looking at both floorplans on the 3124. We will be doing extended camping and we have 2 adults and an adult son with Down syndrome and I thought the 3124KB might be a better fit but have been looking at the 3124KS and wondering if the two small separate tables/extra storage cabinets would be better but I have some concern about my son sleeping on the sofa and the sleeping bag/blanket falling over the opening on the furnace. Can anyone give me any insight on this? Thanks, Cathy
Old 01-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #2
jellis

Default 3124 Bed vs. Sofa

FWIW, we really love our 3124KB, partially because the double bed area is so large and useful; not just for sleeping, but also for storage of things like coats, packs, cameras, books, etc. If I read the brochure correctly, the KS sofa bed is 41 X 69 inches. I think this is the same couch/bed that is used in the KS, just moved to the front of the TM. The KB bed is 48 X 78 and is definitely comfortable for adult sleeping. Being tall, I find the 41 X 69 couch just adequate and a little too short to be comfortable for more than just an afternoon nap. We were worried the dining table might be too small, but it is very adequate for four, but no more than that.

The sofa and storage cabinet in the KS are also nice, with more of a "living room" feel than the KB. I don't think the furnace would be a problem, but will leave it more experienced hands to advise you on that. It probably comes down to your son's size and comfort. I'd definitely try both before committing if at all possible, though not many dealers I know of keep both in stock. (If you're near Memphis, come by and look at ours.) We just went by intuition and ended up with a good choice for us.

Good luck,
Jon and Rita
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
brookside

Angry Emailed Trailmanor

We emailed Trailmanor asking this same question and never received a response. Some manufacturers are open to questions about the design and possible hazards of the design while others are not from our experience. It just does not make sense to put a furnace outlet in a place that may be used as a bed as the bedding would most likely at some point restrict the airflow. Cathy
Old 01-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Cathy -

The User's Information Manual for the furnace (TM provides a copy with the trailer), as well as the furnace manufacturer's web site, says:

"Do not restrict ... warm air circulation to the furnace." and
"Clothing or other flammable material should not be placed on or near the appliance."

Having said that, I can also say that we experienced no problems when our son slept on the sofa-bed in our 2720SL (furnace at one end of the sofa-bed). I think he slept in a sleeping bag, though, which is less likely than sheets and blankets to fall off the bed in a heap. In addition, though, our dog regularly sleeps right in front of the furnace, with her fur blowing in the warm breeze every time the furnace comes on. It really isn't that hot.

If you want to stick with a particular floor plan, but you are concerned about this issue, perhaps you could put something like a plastic milk crate on its side on the floor in front of the furnace, and direct the furnace warm-air outlet into the open top of the crate. Put something heavy inside the crate so it won't move easily. The crate, being VERY well vented, should keep bedding from falling tightly around the vent and blocking it.

Just a thought.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
amp17408

We have a 2005 3124KS and I've had a friend sleep on the sofa/bed as well as my 2 year old granddaughter, when we were running the furnace, even when temps dipped to 10 overnight. We've never had a problem with sheets/blankets touching the furnace vent. If I recall (TM stored for winter), when the sofa is opened up into a bed, the bed extends well beyond the furnace vent, probably by 12 to 18 inches.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
Magdefrau

I bet the heater is safe. As my son sleeps on the sofa bed with the heater go on then off at night, I wonder about fire. I've turned it off and let the place get cold. Under the blankets we are warm and I sleep peacfully. We have had fire drills. Be Prepared. Has a TM caught fire before? How much fire protection is there? I'm want to believe that the TM have the required stuff.
The stove and heater is a source of fire to be watched carefully. We have a box heater and those have caused fires in homes, we all know this. I don't want to leave it on or sleep with it on. I like the cage ideal in frount of the heater. If we go to Alaska I bet the heater becomes a all night thing.
Safety is always the most important step in survival or fun and work most important our family and friends.
Got to go to work.....Eat more Burger King Chicken Samwiches.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #7
Queeniereads

I hesitate to post this because it may be uninformed...but you are all so nice and tolerant of anyone trying to sound out an issue. So, here is what I think as an owner of a 3124KS. When you make up the couch into a bed, doesn't the bed actually slide forward as the back of the sofa goes down into position. THat would create quite an overhang of sofa -- perhaps past the heater face plate. Our TM is backed up against the garage and under cover for winter so I cannot go look. Maybe someone else will. If the bed does not actually slide forward, would a kids' half rail (like the transition period into a single bed) keep the covers on the bed? It slides in under the matress on a regular bed. Just hypothsizing. Queeniereads aka Judi
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #8
Magdefrau

The sofa's corner extends 16 inches from the wall heater's vent. And 4.5 from the bottom of the frame. The sheets and blankets would fall over the edge of the coach not touching any of the vent. Maybe the edge of the metal heater housing. The heated air could be trapped under the bed, I think I would fold the beding under itself to keep it up off the floor. Looking a it I believe I would turn it off when I am asleep. It seems real close.

Say.... This is neat, I could call the plant up and buy replacement parts, Do they have a catalog?