TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default Seeking info on diff bwtn past & present models

We are looking to buy a 2720 (or comparable model) and are curious about how the older models with their numbers correspond with the newer models.   We are looking for an overall towing length of 20' or less, but need three beds, with a queen-sized bed. Which of the older models are the same as the newer 2720's?  How do they differ?  It sounds like the older floorplans are somewhat different from the new ones.  Does anybody have any input on this?  

B_and_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
chvaka

Default Re: Seeking info on diff bwtn past & present model

I just purchased a 97' 3023.  From the research I did before making the purchase, I do not think the floorplans have changed much at all.  Our 97' is the exact same floorplan as the 2003 3023.  The only difference is the countertops, colors, upholstery etc.  Everything else is the same.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
bbeckham

Did a search on "older models" and got this link. It might have some of your answers:

http://tretta.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/...889129;start=0

You might also try a search on "floor plans". Be sure to set the date for something like 999 days or you will get very little to read. I also suggest you do some reading on wheel well modifications. Our '97 had the square ones and we did the mod with the helpful directions from some of the members. No need to avoid square wheel wells. Just add this to the list of things to consider changing if you get an older TM.

Betty Ann
Old 07-19-2003, 03:04 AM   #4
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Thanks - very helpful info.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Seeking info on diff bwtn past & present models

Dear B & D,

If you really want to see how the Trailmanors have changed over the years, go back to the main screen that lists the different topics. Scroll way down to the bottom where you can find members. Click on this and then you can find members by letter. Click on B and find my name Bob Strong. Click on this and then scroll down to #78 and #79 discussion where I have listed all of the changes. Since 2002, there are about 10 to 15 different changes with the 2003 and the 2004 models. The 2004 models now have the redesigned bumpers. People don't realize how the units have changed over the years. Having owned a 1992, 1993, and a 2002 3326King, I have sure seen a lot of improvements. If you have trouble finding the responses, please let me know.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 09:32 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Another issue I am now wondering about is the differences in construction materials between the older models and the newer ones, specifically the use of wooden construction components in the upper part of the TrailManor vs the foam/aluminum that the newer ones are made of.

I happened across a website today where the owner had pretty much had to rip theirs apart to replace some rotted wood in the upper sections. It was pretty scary! They had pictures of open cans of adhesive, paint, who knows what else, but they fixed it and were happy with the results. We are just too busy to do that now. I tried to find it again tonight but it didn't come up on my search. If I find it again I'll post it for general interest.

Does anyone know when the use of wood in the upper sections was replaced with the foam/aluminum tubing construction? Am I misinformed? One of the things we thought was so wonderful about the TrailManors was the fact that there was no wood (at least in the 2002 that we've seen) in the upper parts of the trailer.

Bob, thanks for the info. All the great input we've received from this forum has made us so much more informed about our decision to buy. Unfortunately, now I don't want to go camping until I can go in a TrailManor. :

You guys are great!!

Old 07-23-2003, 05:16 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Today I called the phone number on the TrailManor website and asked about the wood vs. aluminum tube construction.

The very nice lady who answered the phone said that the 1990 and later models used the aluminum tube framing.

So that answers that question!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Happytrails

B and D, the site you are referring to most likely is mine located at:
Http://members.aol.com/br768
No, the roof section was always made with the styrofoam/aluminum skin, it was the wood that held the roof together to the walls that was bad in mine. Mind you mine was SERIOUSLY neglected, and always stored in a damp place. I'm really not sure they're using the new aluminum tubing in the ceiling/wall joint, but do know they're using it, and have been for some time in the lower section. Tho the repairs look scary for sure, believe it or not, I have about the same amount of time in that simple web page as I did in the actual repairs. I think I only spent a total of three weekends making all those repairs, and mind you most of the time was figuring "this thing", or "that thing" out......had I had a guide such as I have provided with my web page, the repair time could have been cut in half! Actually, maybe could have been completed in one day knowing the correct cement to use as I ended up securing everything with stainless steel screws instead of using the cement as it simply wasn't strong enough. (I was trying to use regular contact cement, had I found out about Gorilla Glue, things would have gone MUCH faster). The hardest part about those repairs was simply not knowing what I was going to run into next, and how to deal with it. At any rate, it works very well, and I'm quite happy with it! BUT, just because I was able to get through it doesn't mean someone would want to buy one and take on a project of that size right away, after all, ya purchase it to go camping, if ya can't camp in it right away, it's kinda a real drag. With an upcoming vacation on the horizon tho, it was a real motivator for me getting it all up and going to take it. :
I will say I had EXCELLENT support from the TM people, they bent over backwards to help me understand what I needed to do, and even sent a few diagrams per fax to help me out in the project. I can't say it enough, they're simply a really super good company that stands behind their product 1000%. Every time I've called, I've been able to talk to Jimmy, or Donny, whichever I needed to talk to at the time, both VERY important people in the company, and not once did I ever get off the phone feeling like I was rushed off the phone, in fact, always had good conversations with them both, and always got an invite down to the plant to check it out. They're just really nice people to boot which is so very rare in almost any industry! At any rate, feel free to ask me just about anything about the construction of the old ones, I'm QUITE familiar with it. And always happy to help someone. I can be emailed at: [email protected] I don't mind one bit helping ANYONE out. In fact, at the moment, I'm helping a couple out that bought the exact same model as mine, only it's a 1987, instead of a 1986. But their issue is only with the lift system, and shimming it up, but the structure of theirs seems pretty intact compaired to mine.

Sincerely,
[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails..........[/glow]
Old 08-04-2003, 09:20 PM   #9
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Yes, that is the website I saw. You are a handy repair person! I'm glad that you got your TM into good shape and are enjoying it.

We had a cabover camper about 18 years ago that we had to repair. When we got it, it was OK, but over time, with the leaks and such the corners started rotting out, and once we tried to put it onto the truck and didn't aim just right and kind of tweaked it.

My husband pulled back the aluminum siding and put some new wood in the corners and it was fixed. But it was always really heavy and pretty scary when it swayed back and forth up high up on the hydraulic jacks right before we loaded it onto the truck.

My husband got to the point where he just didn't want to put it on the truck any more.

A woman in our office gave us an older 12' trailer (circa 1960's, beautiful wood but in need of much work) that we fixed up and used for about 5 years, but it just got to be too small for us with 2 growing kids. It was very heavy, but wonderfully compact and easy to park being only 12'. I still kind of miss it, except for having no bathroom.

Trailers are a lot less hassle to load up compared to a camper, and you can leave them wherever you end up. They are a pain to tow compared to driving a camper, but the TM's sound like they are much better. Plus we have a better towing vehicle now.

So we keep looking.

I found an unusual trailer in the local Auto Shopper/Trader called a "Fold-N-Roll". It would be perfect for my husband and me for short trips, but too small for 4 people (or for 2 for an extended period of time). But it is very interesting: http://www.whozwat.com/fold-n-roll/.
Has anyone else heard about these?

Anyway, I saw an older TM model on rvtraderonline.com, and the photos of the bathroom looked really different from the newer ones. It doesn't look like there is a seperate tub/shower area. http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/4/2/53030442.htm

What am I not seeing?

Old 08-05-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Happytrails

That fold n roll trailer is interesting, though I don't think I could EVER give up all the space I have in my TM for something so small! I noticed on the web page for that TM 22, it says it's 12' long.......it's a LOT bigger than that, even when closed. Mine is a TM 25 which is one foot shorter, with the same floor plan as the nowadays 3023. (I simply don't have a full queen sized bed in the back, but it's plenty big for the two of us). No, you're not seeing the typical tub that's in the newer units. Mine's the same way, rather than using a tub, it has a wet bathroom instead. Doesn't bother us in the slightest. We'd rather have the wardrobe in the bathroom, and the extra counter space right next to the rear bed where we can place a TV to watch at night. I think what they meant by the 12' is simply the lower box, (not actually including the whole living area which is ENORMOUS compared to that "fold and roll" camper. Other benifits include a recirculating toilet, unlike a "cassette" type which *is* normally found these days in the popups unlike the web site lends one to believe. I would say the TM is a LOT more insulated than the smaller one as well. I also didn't read anything about a stove, or oven on the site, and I'm sure the TM's sink is a lot bigger as well as anything they put in it, heck, it's almost as big as my dual sink at home! I wonder if their "Kitchen Galley" consists of a refrigerator, with a counter on top? I also wonder if they have a hard sided bathroom as well? I'm suprised they don't have any pics on their web site of the *inside* of the trailer, even Aliners have a floorplan. Didn't seem like a bad price at all for that TM, also noticed it had the radius windows like the newer campers all have, so might be a little newer than a 1987. (They stopped selling the square windows like mine at some point, but not sure when exactly it was). Certainly doesn't sound like a bad price, especially if it was well kept! Other tipoffs that it might be newer than they know is that it has the newer style awning, as well as a MUCH newer fridge than mine has in it. The thermostat also as well as the couch cushions, and elegant lights in the front, as well as the cabinet handles are a pretty big tipoff that it's not a 1987 as well, and probably very well newer. Mine came with bullet lights that are fitted under the front cabinet. On the bad side, looking at the pictures, it's clear it doesn't have an AC unit, nor is ready to take one, in mine, the side AC is where that big cabinet beside the stove is, underneath the silverware drawer. Structurally, if you look at that same picture, you'll notice the upper and lower doors aren't aligned properly, and by about 2" or so, but this may be that they didn't put the pins in the holes on the aluminum tubes that hold it into alignment. (If your curious what I'm talking about, check out on my site where I replaced the pins out, you'll see what I'm talking about). On that note, I would be careful, and make sure that the structure is solid. Other than that, the unit seems to be clean and well kept. Not a bad buy if you ask me. It doesn't seem that they know much about TM's, which is always a good thing. RV dealers take them in on a trade once in a while, don't know anything about them, and sell em cheap when they've been sitting a while on their lot simply because of that! (Which is the best way to get a good deal on one). Hope any of this helps!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails...........[/glow]