TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Where do you store your TM
Inside 13 27.66%
Outside 34 72.34%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Question Where do you store your TM...inside or outside?

I've gathered from the various posts regarding covers, fading, etc. that a goodly number of TMO members store their TMs outside. And there are also a number of posts about garage door clearance, use of dollys for maneuvering, etc. that indicate a fair number of folks store their TMs inside their garages or perhaps some kind of shed/barn.

So thought it would be useful to have a poll as to whether you're an "innie" or an "outie" Explanations of why you chose (or were forced) inside or outside may be very helpful to others.

Me...I'm an "innie"...I specfically wanted a trailer I could store in half of my suburban home's garage so that it (1) was protected from hailstorms and sun damage, and (2) readily available anytime I wanted to go camping, and (3) not going to be a violation of my neighborhood's convenants against RV storage on my lot. That meant TM or HiLo and TM was the handsdown winner of that comparison.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default Innie

Stored tongue-first in garage because the rear ceiling is too low to accomodate AC. Wide, level driveway allows us to push the TM and rotate it so that it can be hooked up to the TV. Neighborhood covenants do not allow open storage.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:19 PM   #3
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Not only store it inside but can set it up there--- no roof AC and the smallest TM model. Like Ray, our condo rules prohibit outside storage.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
MikeD
Site Sponsor

Default Innie

Stored inside to provide cover from winter ice storms, hail, and snow bombs dropping from the trees as the snow melts (plus I was concerned about the weight of the snow on the trailer top).

While the garage is tall enough to open the trailer, it is not long enough, but I can pull the trailer partially out of the garage to set it up. This is really great for the days when the power goes out - we can just set-up the TM and be warm and cosy with all of the conveniences missing from our cold, dark house.

MikeD

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
jlh29303

Default Inside Rules! but,,,,,,,

We store our 2720SL outside for now. Pretty mild winters here in SC. But, we plan to erect one of those aluminum sheds as soon as we can for it in another area of our yard. We've already run a 30 amp supply to the area on a 4X4 post. We want to have the shed up high enough so we can open the TM up while keeping a roof over it.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:49 PM   #6
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Outside and covered in the nasty weather of northern Ohio!!!!!! The Rip Little 4 pound Yorkie in 12 inches of snow
Old 01-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Stored outside in Maine in the summer - our garage is too small for it to fit inside.

When in Arizona in the winter, it was stored in the garage for two years, per HOA rules. But that meant leaving the Explorer outside in the driveway. And pack rats decided they liked the nice warm Explorer engine during the cool winter nights in Scottsdale (as low as 55 degrees sometimes!), and they began tearing up the engine compartment, wires, hoses, etc. So now the TM is in a lot across town, and the Explorer is in the garage.

Fortunately, we don't have to cope with
a) Maine winters, or
b) Phoenix-area summers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 05:03 PM   #8
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

Talking innie

All of the campers that we have owned have been stored inside. first was a Dutchman pop up 1500 (had a bathroom) then a SunLite. (hard sided pop up) now the 2720SL. I feel that Sun, and snow are hard on a camper just sitting. Also I don't want all the neighborhood to know when we are gone...."Hay look their camper is gone! Lets go look at their fish pond..(or worse)
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

We store ours inside a barn at one of our state fair grounds. $10 per foot for dry indoor storage can't be beat!

I picked up a tip from another camper from Canada who gave me the suggestion to contact the keepers of the fairgrounds and everything worked out for us. Nov 1st to April ??. I'm the last one in so I'll be the first one out!

Vince
Old 01-20-2005, 04:01 PM   #10
Firefly

Default Innie

We put our TM in a storage facility about 5 miles down the road. It goes in November 1st and comes out May 1st. We do a 6 month contract at $60 per month.

Our neighborhood covenents are pretty restrictive although we have it sitting on our driveway the other six months and no one seems to mind. It's heavily wooded around here so that probably helps.

Tami & Garry