TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
ATHiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
There are two schools of thought among TM owners and using a TV with a max rating of 3500#.
1 thought is have it and they seem to get away with.

The other thought is forget it.

Take a look at the real world weights recorded in other threads on the site and go from there.
Our 2720SL lists at 2895#, has a delivered weight of 3218# and on the scales weighs 3680# with out the 20 gal fresh water having any water.
Do you know the tongue weight on your 2720SL?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
REBCAT

Sallyport, We hauled a 2619 with a Highlander Hybrid. We took it from Alabama to NY over the mountains with 4 adults and also from Alabama to Branson MO. We never had problems. We never towed with water on board and were probably a our max limit most of the time. We did that for 4 years and never had any problems.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
Laura FM

Coinsider the 2417 sport. It is a bit lighter and narrower.Both of which make it easier to tow. We have one, and it is only two of us, and it seems spacious enough.

The 2417 does not come with a recirculation toilet. There will be an access door outside your unit, and you remove the holding tank (and refill the flush water) from there. Very easy. (My 2417 does not have a toilet, but my previous trailer, a highwall popup, had the same unit).

The 2417 only has one propane tank, but you can add a second. Unless you plan to do a lot of cold weather camping away from services and without electricity, then go with one. If you camp in cold weather with electricity, many people take a small electric heater to conserve the gas.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
hoverlover

Am towing 2619 with Nissan Murano rated at 3500 max towing, transmission cooler , wdh, tekonsha p3 controller. 2 yrs now, 5600 miles, Midwest to FL, TN smokies, no towing problems. No thetford odors.
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
moaboy

Yes, there are two schools of thought:
1. Those of us who have towed many miles successfully with our 3500lb TV and
2. Those who have trouble accepting that fact.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We live in California and there are a lot of big mountains here. Every time we tow the TM through one of these ranges, I am so thankful that we have a substantial tow vehicle. When someone ahead of you slams their brakes on unexpectedly and you have to make a panic stop is another time. I wouldn't want the tail wagging the dog.

At the very least, I would make sure that my tow vehicle, towing the TM at it's actual weight, is within the law where I intend to tow.

JMHO
Old 07-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #17
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Do you know the tongue weight on your 2720SL?
It's the one weight we have checked.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I second Laura's comment about the 2417 Sport. We have one, and have looked at the 2417 Classic. The Classic is 6" wider, and may have larger tires.

We just got back from going from Denver to Utah (Kodachrome St. Park/Escalnte area, and Moab area), towing with a 3 liter diesel. That tows the 2417 great, but it has more torque than your TV.

Our 2417 weighs about 3400 lbs now, ready-to-camp. I have two propane tanks, AC, one battery, 40-gal water tank, shower unit, all the windows available, and 100w solar panel. No awning. So, we have almost all the options, and come in at 3400 lbs, as stated above.

While you could travel with no water, there are many threads that recount arrivals at campgrounds, only to find there was no water available, or the available water was distasteful. I would suggest traveling with at least 10 gallons, to get you through a day, just in case.

Also, the toilet is a cassette, not a recirculating like the larger units. It holds about 3 gallons, and is easy to remove to dump in a vault toilet, or in a special dump basin that many National Park campgrounds have. They all have signs "Don't use for washing dishes" on the door, but many folks still wash dishes in there. They are for dumping cassette toilets like the 2417 has.

Anyway, I wanted to give you real-life weight of a 2417, set for a week of dry camping.

Very much easier to tow than a standard travel trailer. Lower-profile makes a huge difference. Good Luck!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
ThePair
TrailManor Master

3500# rated TV owner here (Sienna), weighing in (pun intended!).

Toyota makes a substantial and durable TV in general. I would expect a Highlander with tow package (and all the necessary additions) would be able to tow the smaller TMs (even up to a 2720, which is my TM) in the most favorable of conditions (i.e. low altitude, flats). Tow dry, only take what you need, carry one propane tank if full (or two if near empty -- the weight will be close to the same), etc. etc. I have weighed my rig once, I know I'm just at the stated limits. I drive safely, and I am well aware of my limitations. Works for me, works for many others. May or may not work for you, you'll need to decide that for yourself. There have been many, many discussions on this topic in the past, and the summary is exactly what others have said: some agree, some disagree.

If you're a strictly by-the-numbers kind of person, go for a lighter/smaller model. If you're more of a "these are general guidelines, not hard-and-fast rules" and "the majority of people who tow do not do the diligent research we here do, and still manage (with some sense involved) to successfully enjoy their camping experience" then the numbers would support the use of a Highlander with a 2720-class TM. Larger than this, even I would really question, because now you're talking about a longer trailer, more weight, and therefore more risk.

Many vehicles have specific boards out there, much like this one, but dedicated to the TV. I know there is a Sienna board out there, with extensive discussions on towing, and that board, with this one, were my principle sources of research when I was looking. I chose the 2720SL, and it has perfectly met my needs, and matches perfectly with the Sienna. No question I'm at my limit, but I feel comfortable being there. I wouldn't want bigger, I wouldn't care for smaller. I also stay on the flats of the midwest, and usually I'm not driving more than 2 hours or so at a time. I don't need to travel with water, I usually camp for 3-4 days at a stretch. I have electric at the campsite, so I don't need a genny or anything like that. This fits my needs. Yours may be different.

It's all about being comfortable with your choices: some people need the "belt and suspenders" approach of a large margin between the tow rating and the towed camper, and their experiences bear out this decision. Others are quite satisfied with spec limits being just that, and 3500# TVs will work for these TMs under that philosophy, and their experiences bear out this decision as well. Each side thinks the other is a little crazy, but that's just human nature.

(For the record, the official Toyota towing guidelines stress that axle weights are the most important factor, more than tow ratings, hitch ratings, or just about any other numbers that are bandied about. Realistically, there is no standardization in how these numbers are determined, and no one knows for sure where they come from. It's all guesswork and supposition on our parts. That's part of why there are such differing opinions.) Literally: YMMV.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
davlin
TrailManor Master

After reading this thread, I've decided we need some new abbreviations to help us out. After all, we already have "DH," "DW," "TM," and "TV."

HT: stands for "heavy tow-er." Those who believe you need extra tow capacity.

LT: for those who believe you can tow right up to the limit.

TL: Thetford lover.

TH: Thetford hater.

These of course, can be strung in combinations. For instance, LTTL, or HTTH, etc. This way, you can be a DH with a TM and a TV, who is HTTL.

OK, I'm done now.

Dave (HTTL)
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote