TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
myersm

Default Upper Lift Arm-to-body Attach Bolts pulling through skin.

I need advice... The lift arm upper attach point has a bolt that runs through the upper shell and the four lift arms. Two of my attach bolts are pulling into the outside skin of the upper shell about 1/8". So' I want to remove the bolt and put a washer under the bolt to keep it flush. My questions are:
-- Can I simply brace the upper shell with a jack while I remove the bolt and nut and reinstall with washers?
-- Will the lift arm stay in place vertically when I remove the bolt?
-- Are there any other peices inside the wall of the upper shell attach point that I need to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for your help!
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
clown9644

I have not done this but I am almost positive the torsion bars are going to move, violently I am afraid. You would definitely need to have the shell fully up to have the least tension on the system and I would try to tie the tension arm in place for safety. You should be able to use a 2x4 of wood to support the shell in the corner you are working on. If there is something in the wall (possibly a shim?) you can stabilize it by using something of equal size to push the old bolt out, thus filling the void with the temporary thing, reverse the process for putting in the new bolt and washers.
While you are at it, get some stainless steel bolts and washers so they do not rust, one of the ugly things about a TM are those bolts all rusted and right on the white part of the unit for all to see.
You might try to get hold of Eddie at the factory who will give you a step by step instructions- he is a breathing encyclopedia on these campers!
Old 05-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
myersm

I figured there would be pressure from the tortion rods, but I wasn't sure how much... especially with the front shell in the full up position. My plan is to put a cargo strap on the top of the lift arm to hold it back while supporting the shell and doing a quick bolt swap. I'll call the folks at the factory, like you suggested.

Thanks!
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote