TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 06:43 AM   #1
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Default Tire Blowout while sleeping

Pulled the TM to the Texas Hill Country from Houston yesterday for the holiday weekend. First time out since we purchased the unit. PO indicated the tires we about 4 years old with very little use. After set up was completed, we visited with family and then went to bed. Just about to doze off completely, we heard and felt a loud bang. Startled us out of bed thinking the possibilities of hot water tank, furnace, even the water hose from the well source we were using was suspect... I noticed the fender skirt was damaged. Was not that way when we left our home. Tire was still holding pressure but the side wall was partially blown out. We felt lucky that it did not happen on the highway. Before returning home on Sunday, we will replace both tires. Recommendations are being taken if you please.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
clown9644

That had to be scary. Thank God that you were parked when it blew. As you now know, you cannot tell a tire's real wear by looks. They die from the inside out! Hope you can find replacements within the budget and get on home safe and sound. Enjoy your family!!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Found a Discount Tire Center in Kerrville, Texas. Not open today, but their online inventory shows only the Goodyear ST 225, 75 R15 (trailer tire) in stock. Anything else, like Carlisle, etc. show to be 24-48 hour order. Not sure what that means for a holiday weekend. Will have to figure out whether I can take both wheels off and leave the TM on bottle jacks or just leveling jacks. Any suggestions in that regard would be appreciated.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 11-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
rumbleweed

Take one wheel off and use spare. Much safer.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

but if one tire blew last night, its assumed the other one is just as bad for my trip home. your saying, use the spare to prop up the trailer while both tires are off?

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 11-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
Scott O

I don't remember and others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the stabilizers on your model are designed to support the entire weight of the TM. So, I think I would put the spare on one side, then use the stabilizers to support the rest of the TM while you remove the other wheel. If you have a bottle jack (Is there a Harbor Freight around? It is a good idea to always carry one anyhow.) it can be used to provide additional support. Assuming you had 14" wheels, it seems the best you can do is to upgrade to 15", which you are apparently doing. Reports of blow-outs are diminishing (not disappearing) after TM has gone to the larger wheel. Just be sure you have adequate clearance for the larger wheels, as you may need to install a kit to raise your TM.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

thanks Scott. yes, I have a bottle jack from my Tundra. I'm also lucky in that the lug wrench from the Tundra fits the TM 15 inch wheel lugs. I did not think the stabilizers would support the TM, so you have set me up to confirm that they should not be used for that. I bought the unit a month ago and it already had 15 inch wheels on it.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 11-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Scottie Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
I don't remember and others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the stabilizers on your model are designed to support the entire weight of the TM. So, I think I would put the spare on one side, then use the stabilizers to support the rest of the TM while you remove the other wheel. If you have a bottle jack (Is there a Harbor Freight around? It is a good idea to always carry one anyhow.) it can be used to provide additional support. Assuming you had 14" wheels, it seems the best you can do is to upgrade to 15", which you are apparently doing. Reports of blow-outs are diminishing (not disappearing) after TM has gone to the larger wheel. Just be sure you have adequate clearance for the larger wheels, as you may need to install a kit to raise your TM.
You are right on the stabilizers I would not use them for that weight.

I wish I could go with 15 inch tires but I get my TM in the garage by 2 inches, and the dealer put on new tires for us in May. I do have the slim AC so that is perfect for the height.

We get our new La-Z-Boy chair tomorrow so I will open the TM up on the street for a couple of days and put in the new speakers and some other things.

I will send pictures of the chair in the TM, it is the (Anderson) model just for those who would be interested, don’t forget I got this chair on a 3 day sale for $299.00 and the back comes off. If you upgrade to a different model TM you can always use it, or just put it in your home if you leave the camping world, it is the smallest BUT very nice & comfortable.

I am not sure what TM charges for the chair from the factory? but I think this is the best of two worlds.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1354.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	6749  
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default tire changing

Do not put the jack under the axle. This is in the owners manual and I hope you got one when you got your TM. The manual says to place it under the frame near the axle but that isn't very clear to me. IN front of the axle or behind? I think on the frame behind the wheel would be best. Take one tire off and put the spare on. Make sure it is at proper pressure, for us with the 2720 that is 65 psi. Let the TM down and block the spare tire. Now go to the other side and remove that wheel. I would place some blocking under the frame on that side to help support the TM. Jacks have a bad habit of collapsing. We have had good luck with our tires so far, about 12k miles.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

excellent advice scrubjay. I really appreciate the heads up about the jack placement.

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King