TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
pauloh

Default Bag seal (roof gasket) deterioration

I learned from searching that the item in question is called a "bag seal". Mine (see photo) seems to have just recently developed a crack so that I can see the foam in the interior. Possibly related to my rear shell bouncing a bit (another post) but probably not. Quite sure it wasn't like this 2-3 months ago (I'd taken some photos of the roof) but the previous owner did leave the TM set up in his yard a lot (in the sun presumably). Suppose I can get by with duct tape (or perhaps some white vinyl tape) for the remainder of the summer to keep water out of the seal? I understand from one other post that these seals can be ordered from the factory (I have a call and email into them right now about other parts, so can add this to the list) but I have enough other TM projects to keep me going at the moment I'd like a quick fix for now.

Meanwhile I'll get some protectant as advised in this other thread on bag seal maintenance and maybe keep the rest of it from sun rotting. Any other suggestions, kindly let me know.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...light=bag+seal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	6134  
TV: 2007 Toyota 4Runner, V8, 4x4
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Reese 49586-020 Trunnion WDH
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
pauloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
retiredgoat

Hi Pauloh,

I've recently found myself in the same ripped boat so to speak. I looked and the boat store west marine has' http://www.google.com/search?q=hypal...client=firefox'. A patch kit for $9.95 online.

Good luck
Bob
Old 10-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgoat View Post
I've recently found myself in the same ripped boat so to speak. I looked and the boat store west marine has' http://www.google.com/search?q=hypal...client=firefox'. A patch kit for $9.95 online.

Good luck
Bob
Thanks, Bob. My rooftop bag seal still needs repair (though the "gaffers tape" I used across/around it has held pretty well for this past summer!) Your link took me to a google results page showing a number of web sites featuring "Hypalon" but one of them was indeed for a West Marine...I'll post here the link to the product page itself at West Marine for $9.99:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...&ci_sku=440694

Is "Hypalon" what the bag seal is made of? Have you used this patch kit successfully? Whatever the material of the bag seal is, gaffer tape (or duct tape) does not stick to it, but I'm assuming a patch of the same/similar material might have an appropriate adhesive. Any info appreciated.
Best wishes,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
myersm

I just replaced my top Bag Seal this year... it wasn't a bad job at all. I still need to work on mmy side bag seal as well, but to replace those, I need to disconnect and tilt the shell back. That's for another day!
myersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersm View Post
I just replaced my top Bag Seal this year... it wasn't a bad job at all. I still need to work on mmy side bag seal as well, but to replace those, I need to disconnect and tilt the shell back. That's for another day!
Could you tell me, did you get the replacement bag seal from the factory (now closed, at least for the time being) or a dealer? If so, what dealer, and how much did it cost for the new bag? Is the top bag a separate piece from the side bags or did you cut somewhere. Thanks for any insight on this!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Scottie Dogs

I have not had this problem yet, thanks for the report. My wife is a sewing/quilting person and she has so much stuff in her sewing room. Maybe you can go to a sewing/quilt shop and get some wide Velcro to match the color of the bag seal and put it on they have lots of colors just for a temporary fix, clean the area real good and apply they have different widths.

I broke a piece of plastic where the outside wire caught under it. I tried all kinds of glue no luck then I ran a strip of thin Velcro across the top it and been on several trips and it is there forever. (picture below). Velcro, Duck Tape, and Vice Grips are my best friends

FYI. My wife takes her sewing machine on ALL camping trips long or short trips, most of the time she will bring it to the lodge where there is a large table, and most of the time she will just leave it in the room, the clerk always watches it and she has so much fun when people ask her what she is making She also sews in the TM it is just perfect with 2 Scotties, got to love the TM, just perfect... OH, we are full hook-up campers to old to dry camp anymore, when we bring the TM to the campground I have an audience on the set-up SO FUNNY All these people with the huge rigs love it and they are so nice to us.

Just a little story,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1665.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	6629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1371.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	6630  
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
retiredgoat

Hi All,

I have not gotten to west marine yet but am going this week and will update, the hypalon needs its special glue which was on all the sites.

Hey myersm,
So besides removing the trim and staples is there any other special points to watch for? I'm looking at just buying the material and get started with preps.

Thanks in advance for any help
Bob
Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
retiredgoat

The repair kit from West Marine worked on the bag seal very well, I liked the fact that it was a stretchy material so it form fit the bag seal. Some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ripped seal.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bag seal tape.JPG
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	6651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair kit.JPG
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	6652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fixed seal.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	6653  
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #9
pauloh

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgoat View Post
The repair kit from West Marine worked on the bag seal very well, I liked the fact that it was a stretchy material so it form fit the bag seal. Some pics.
Thanks for the photos, it looks like great stuff for this repair. West Marine online was out of stock as of today but I found the same stuff on Amazon along with a number of positive reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-NRS-Tear-.../dp/B00241OSK6

For others who may read this: Looks like you want "Type A" which is for all materials except vinyl (Type B is for vinyl only.) There's a "kit" with several pieces (largest piece is 1 foot by 3 inches, others are smaller, for $9.25), or a 5-foot by 3-inch roll (which $23. plus $5. shipping) .

Apparently you cannot get this material in a size wider than 3 inches, which for my repair may mean using 2 pieces side by side. Guess I'll order the roll and see how it goes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
pauloh

I now see there are a number of reputable (100% feedback) vendors on ebay for this same "Tear-Aid" material, and you can order custom lengths, etc. at what seem to be lower prices than Amazon. One dealer will cut a piece whatever length you need in 1-foot increments (still only 3 inches wide though) and suggests overlapping the material by 1 inch if a wider piece is needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]