TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Beach Boy

Default Reason For Lift Kit

I see where a lot of regulars have lifted their TMs. I researched the subject. I see a lot of threads involving changing tire sizes and using lift kits. What is the reason for lift kits? Just curious.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
rumbleweed

The primary reason is to allow additional clearance in the wheel wells to enable the installation of 15" tires as it generally provides a higher load range. A few owners also do it to allow for additional clearance allowing them to navigate steeper grades. New TMs are essentially already lifted via a larger angle on the axle torsion arm.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It also makes dumping your holding tank easier. The outlet on mine was so close to the ground that I could barely get my Waste King flush valve on. On a few occasions, I had to pull up on my Lynx levelers (on both sides) to dump. Now I have no problem.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Beach Boy

How do lift kits affect the center of gravity?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
How do lift kits affect the center of gravity?
It raises the center of gravity slightly but that's really not an issue with folding trailers (unless you go 6+" or something).

It also may increase windage a little with some smaller tow vehicles but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 AM   #6
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyrv View Post
It raises the center of gravity slightly but that's really not an issue with folding trailers (unless you go 6+" or something).

It also may increase windage a little with some smaller tow vehicles but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
There have been a lot of 14" tire failures reported here (used in past model years on the TMs with 3500# axles), but it's hard to tell exactly how disproportionate these are, considering how many TM's with 14" tires are out there. We know that some of our members have had trouble keeping inside the weight limits for these trailers. So many have added lift kits to allow them to use 15" tires which have a higher load rating and hopefully a lower failure rate. It's very easy to forget to check tire pressures on trailers, and this has always been a major factor in RV tire failures.

Without knowing where the center of gravity is, it's hard to estimate the exact effect, isn't it? A couple inches probably isn't a big deal for most people, but I would expect noticeable changes to be associated with noticeable effects. A 2" lift kit is a little and the new rim size and an increase in the tire profile are a little more. The side area exposed to crosswinds doesn't change with a lift kit, but the leverage does. And, of course, the taller you go, the harder it gets to fit through the garage door.

We bought the 3023 because it weighs less than 100# more than the 2720SL, has a great floorplan without needing a front slide, and has always been made with 15" tires and a 5000# axle. I never figured the garage idea would work for me with a 3500# trailer (too much power pushing too much weight around in too confined a space makes for a long, slow, careful process that probably would take longer than the covering effort outdoors, and it's more important to have the tow vehicle inside every day than the trailer anyhow).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
PopBeavers

The lift kit allows me to go through more driveways without scraping the ground.

It also reduces the number of rocks that the battery tray digs up out of the ground when off roading with the TM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #8
Scott O

Beach Boy, considering listing your equipment in a signature. That way we are better able to address your concerns. TMs after about '06 came with a lift kit. When we changed from 14" to 15" clearance was no issue.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Beach Boy

Scott,

I am a prospective owner. I previously owned a 37' motorhome for five years. Participating on this forum is 3/4 of the fun of searching for a TM.

Bill "Beach Boy" Blanton
Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Boy View Post
Scott,

I am a prospective owner. I previously owned a 37' motorhome for five years. Participating on this forum is 3/4 of the fun of searching for a TM.

Bill "Beach Boy" Blanton
You're right, we're great entertainers.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote