TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Shandysplace

Default Propane Tank Switchover Valve

How reliable and accurate have you found this unit supplied on nearly all TMs? Ours on our new Elkmont appears defective and/or we don't know how to use it properly.

With the handle pointing to either tank and both tanks full and both valves on; after about an hour of use, the flag turns red. Leaving both tanks on and switching the handle to the other tank the flag turns black. Switching the handle back to the original tank the flag stays black until after about an hour of use when the flag again turns red.

After six nights of camping and driving over 900 miles with the reefer on propane, about 3 gallons of propane was used, i.e., the flag should have stayed black?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Beak12

Sharon and Andy,
The Flag on my 2720SL never did show but I always assumed that the tank was really not that empty. Bucause I would fill it everytime we returned from camping. Our Elkmont also has never been used enough I don't think. We did use propane for the refer on our way over and back from Phoenix. But while there (4 days) we used Elec. So I can't help really. Have you talked to Custom RV?
Old 12-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
brulaz

Hmmm. Our indicator colours are green and red. We keep one of our tank valves closed (and the tank full in reserve). When I turn the handle to it, the flag rapidly changes to red (because of the closed valve) and green when I open the valve. When I turn it back to the open tank I currently get about half red. IIRC that one used to be closer to all green, but I have no idea how accurate the gauge is.

I think it takes a lot of boon-docking in cold weather to burn up a tank. We've only filled one in 12,000 miles. So we just run a tank until it's empty, switch to the full reserve and refill the empty next chance we get.

The only problem I can imagine with this approach is when boondocking and leaving the trailer unattended for a long time. If the tank runs out when we're not there, we could lose our frig/freezer stuff. Maybe then both tanks could be opened for the duration. The full reserve would lose a bit, but as long as I remembered to close it when we returned, it shouldn't be an issue. The tanks should not equalize propane volumes when connected together (?).

EDIT: Tapping and wiggling the indicator may get it to adjust to a "truer" reading.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
How reliable and accurate have you found this unit supplied on nearly all TMs? Ours on our new Elkmont appears defective and/or we don't know how to use it properly.

With the handle pointing to either tank and both tanks full and both valves on; after about an hour of use, the flag turns red. Leaving both tanks on and switching the handle to the other tank the flag turns black. Switching the handle back to the original tank the flag stays black until after about an hour of use when the flag again turns red.

After six nights of camping and driving over 900 miles with the reefer on propane, about 3 gallons of propane was used, i.e., the flag should have stayed black?
I'll try this again, last time went into the bit bucket. On our 6 month trip to Alaska and back we used a 20# bottle per month. Our usage in the pop-up was a Mr heater, day time only. propane for the refrig except when moving, and cooking. We havn't had the TM long enough to really say.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

The way it's supposed to work is that you leave both tank valves open and point the switchover valve handle at the tank you want to deplete first. The indicator should be green. When the first tank pressure drops to a low level, the indicator turns red and the switchover valve starts using the other tank. You then flip the valve handle to the tank that is now in use, remove the empty tank, refill it and replace it. The indicator will be green again because the tank the handle is pointing to has good pressure.

I realize this is extremely confusing for some reason. My dad has never been able to figure it out. He always closes the tank valve on the tank that is not in use, which completely defeats the auto switchover function.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
The way it's supposed to work is that you leave both tank valves open and point the switchover valve handle at the tank you want to deplete first. The indicator should be green. When the first tank pressure drops to a low level, the indicator turns red and the switchover valve starts using the other tank. You then flip the valve handle to the tank that is now in use, remove the empty tank, refill it and replace it. The indicator will be green again because the tank the handle is pointing to has good pressure.

I realize this is extremely confusing for some reason. My dad has never been able to figure it out. He always closes the tank valve on the tank that is not in use, which completely defeats the auto switchover function.
And is this really the way it works?

Initially I thought that was how it worked too. But was told that, no, it was just an indicator, not an automatic switchover valve. But I never tested it. And maybe I misunderstood the technician.

Because with this mode of operation there's no exact way of telling which tank it's using, whether it has switched to the other tank or not. The pointer does not tell you if it has already switched, and the gauge is rather arbitrary; a small nudge and it changes readings. Maybe that's what the technician was implying.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Yes. I may have been lucky, but I've never had a problem with it - and I've never had the propane flow suddenly stop because I had manually shut off the full second tank.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Scott O

It is a pretty confusing system to me. The indicator arrow has no function at all except to remind you which tank is being used. And I have a hard time remembering if I manually switched it when the tank being used changed, basically meaning I usually don't know which tank is empty. Our tanks have small gauges built in, but they appear to be of marginal accuracy. I'm glad the tanks last a long time, as I only have to face this dilemma infrequently!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Scott -

I think you are making it too complicated. If the flag is red, then the handle is pointing at an empty tank. That's it. Remove the empty tank and go fill it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post

Because with this mode of operation there's no exact way of telling which tank it's using, whether it has switched to the other tank or not.
Actually, it tells you precisely what is going on. If the indicator is red, the tank to which the switchover valve handle is pointing has been depleted (assuming its tank valve is open....).
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote