TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
LeChateau2012

Default Our dream come true!!

We are picking up our TM this Thursday at Custom RV in Anaheim, Mat and Gena have been great.. i have been reading all the threads.. day and night ... but one question.... in regards to the a/c do you have to have a generator that puts out 3000kw to run it??
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
rumbleweed

Where will you be using the AC ( state/elevation). There are lots of threads on this. Generally 3Kw will run it with little else running. The critical condition is a restart after running and shutting down. There is still some pressure in the lines and the compressor has to overcome that. I like 2 2KW generators connected together. That way you only need to bring one if no AC is required.
I am sure you will get lots of different opinions.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
LeChateau2012

Thank you for the reply!!!

We will be in the State of California for the rest of the year, most likely nothing higher than 4500 ft. We did think of the 2 2k together, and most likely will purchase.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Many folks have found that a Honda EU2000 will not do the job reliably, even at low altitudes, though a few folks (not many) have found that it will start it once or twice. However, I have recently been reminded that there is a device called a "hard start capacitor" for retrofit in the air conditioner. This device is not snake oil, and it might very well help. Use the Search tool on the term - we have discussed it extensively. I don't think we have any reports of "hard start capacitor" PLUS "generator", though.

I have also been told that using synthetic oil will help. Again, no reports on this forum. How 'bout one of you folks with the EU2000 try out these fixes and let us know? Yes, this is a challenge! I bought a EU1000 because "an EU2000 won't do the job, so why buy the extra capacity". Can someone make me rethink my decision? I would love to!

I think we have had several good reports about the capability of the Yamaha 2400 in this regard. Apparently that little bit of extra capacity gets you over the hump. But it is a beast ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Bill, I guess I don't quite follow - "I bought a EU1000 because "an EU2000 won't do the job...". Isn't the EU1000 a 1 kw output, and the EU2000 a 2 kw generator? If a 2 kw won't do the job, why get a smaller one?

I have been told (even by our TM dealer, who uses their larger units as we will our 2417), that two 2 kw generators in tandem work quite well with the AC. I have looked at the Honda, and Yamaha, and both say they will run the AC fine, when run in tandem.

Does anyone have bad experience with either Honda or Yamaha pairs of 2 kw generators?
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
Bill, I guess I don't quite follow - "I bought a EU1000 because "an EU2000 won't do the job...". Isn't the EU1000 a 1 kw output, and the EU2000 a 2 kw generator? If a 2 kw won't do the job, why get a smaller one?
I'm not sure I understand the question. If neither one will run the air conditioner, and if either one will do everything else, why would I buy the bigger one? So I bought the smaller one. In other words, if a 2000 watt unit won't run the air conditioner, and if a 1000 watt unit will do everything else, then there is no reason to buy the 2000-watt unit. Or so I thought.

But I still have the same question. If I had installed a hard start capacitor in my air conditioner, would a 2000-watt generator run it? If so, then buying the 1000-watt unit would have been the wrong decision.

And yes, a 1000-watt unit won't run a 1500-watt hair dryer or electric frying pan, and a 2000-watt unit would run them. But we don't use those when we camp, so a bigger generator has no benefit for us. Your needs may different, of course. But for us, 1000 watts was perfect.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Okay, now I understand your decision. I guess I was thinking that running the AC was the intent. We have been told to get two 2 kw generators, hook them up in tandem, then we could use the AC when we are dry camping (which is how we plan to camp for the next 10 years, for the most part).

An expensive way to get AC, so we have not gone that route, yet. It is cool enough in Colorado that we don't need AC, but if we head south, or to lower elevations, AC would be nice.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Bluegrass

I have the Yamaha EF2400i and it will not run the A/C at our elevation (5000').

Keith
Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
PopBeavers

My Honda 2000 will start, but not restart, the a/c at sea level.

If I turn off all breakers in the TM except for the a/c then I can restart the a/c at will as many times as I had the patience to do.

The Honda 3000 comes on wheels. I do not think I could roll it into my truck by myself.

The Yamaha 2400 as a pair of handles. You carry it in front of you with two hands. My back would not survive that.

The Honda 2000 has a single handle on top. I can carry mine with one hand alongside me. If I ever get a second Honda 2000 then I can carry them both at the same time, one in each hand. Well, at least for a few more years.

I am in California as well as the OP. I have no use for the a/c in California. If I think I need to run the a/c then I camped too low. Next time I will camp at a higher elevation. We normally camp between 5,000 and 8,000 feet.

I have no information on other brands. Some people like the Bolly (not sure of the spelling) but I have never seen one. There are also a few others. One debate about different brands is where to go for repairs when you are on the road. Honda and Yamaha seem to be the easiest to find repair shops for them.

There are two companies frequently referred to regarding the best price. Wyse Sales is one and I don't recall the other one.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #10
LeChateau2012

Thank you all for your feedback!