TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #1
planner23899

Default 2720 sd or 3023 for a family of 4

Hello,
I have a family of 4 and have been focused on the 2720 because I may sell my Tundra and buy a Pilot (to help on gas millage). However, after looking at the specs, the 3023 it does not seem to be much heavier. Looking for any advice regardng to see if anyone has been in the same boat and what were some of the reason they went for a 2720sd or a 3023. Also if you have a 3023 how does it tow with a Pilot and have you taken any trips up to Yosemite or gone up the Cajon Pass (in Califonia).
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
PopBeavers

FWIW, my 2720 (not SD) weighs about 4,200 pounds when fully loaded. Just make sure your tow vehicle can handle the total combind weight of:

tow vehicle
passengers
gas
trailer
water
propane
dishes
food
all the other stuff

I carry about 1400 pounds above the base weight of the trailer. This is for 2 people.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
KParis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
FWIW, my 2720 (not SD) weighs about 4,200 pounds when fully loaded. Just make sure your tow vehicle can handle the total combind weight of:

tow vehicle
passengers
gas
trailer
water
propane
dishes
food
all the other stuff

I carry about 1400 pounds above the base weight of the trailer. This is for 2 people.
Hi, I am new at this so I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question. You said you load the TM to 1400 pounds above the base weight (I assume this is the same as the dry weight used in the brochures). Anyway, doesn't a load like this go beyond the axle weight which is about 3700 pounds? Is that okay to do this? Or is it based on how you distribute the load? I am trying to learn what all these numbers mean. I plan on using a Honda Pilot with 4WD and a towing rating of 4500 pounds. Thanks for your time.

K. Paris
Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
M&M Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KParis View Post
doesn't a load like this go beyond the axle weight which is about 3700 pounds?
The axle doesn't carry the load of the wheels, tires, or tongue. According to my weighings, those three terms are good for at least 700 pounds. YMMV.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
larsdennert

The 3500lb axle is designed to carry a tailer of that weight. In other words the spring rate is calibrated for that. Luckily dexter builds them pretty well. The tires seem to be the weak point. Underinflate them by 5 lbs and you have likely lost the load margin as i found out. TM was very responsive by going to 15" tires.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Steve -

The dry weights of the 2720SD and the 3023 are almost the same (the weight of the slide mechanism in the SD and SL accounts for this). Many have noted that the road-ready weights of the two can be quite different, largely because the 3023 has more space for "stuff". And as we all know, "stuff" expands to fill the space available. This is especially true when you are travelling with kids.

As for the Pilot, well, I see a number of potential gotchas on the Honda web site, with the suggestion that there are more in the Owner's Manual. But I'll leave you to evaluate those. Based on my own experience with 2 people in the TM in the high Sierras, and specifically Yosemite, I'm not sure that this is the best choice for towing with a family of four.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
PopBeavers

The Pilot appears to be able to tow either 3500 or 4500 pounds, if you have the factory tow package. 3500 is not enough. I do not understand what you need to get to the 4500 pound rating.

Assuming you have a tow capacity of 4500 pounds, you will have to pack lightly. The kids can not bring all their stuff. They can not bring any friends. Travel with no water. Travel with holding tanks empty.

Some people like a margin of safety. The "80 percent" rule is used by some of us. A tow vehicle with a factory rating of 5000 pounds can tow 4000 pounds.

Imagine the following scenario:

towing downhill
on a curve
off camber
road is wet
panic stop becomes necessary

Either make sure you have a vehicle to handle that situation or make sure you never encounter that situation. An under powered engine is not much of a safety issue. Under sized tow vehicle brakes and a short wheel base can become a safety issue.

I am pretty conservative. I have more tow vehicle that I need. My budget is likely different than your budget.

I agree that the difference is small between the TMs that you listed. Small enough that if the Pilot can handle one of them, then it can handle the others. Just be sure to pack lightly. Consider weighing it the first time out on a short trip close to home with no major hills. Then you will know how heavy you really are and can make some adjustments to what you take with you.

You can, if the budget allows, get a larger tow vehicle if you are unhappy with the current one.

I had to slam on the brakes once to make a panic stop while towing. Fortunately, it was a flat dry straight road. I am happy to report that I think I can stop just as fast when towing as I can when not towing. I was going 45 mph when I engaged the ABS brake system on my truck to stop as fast as the equipment was able to. I feel about as safe as anyone can in the ability to make a panic stop.

If you want to downsize from the Tundra, what else is out there that is a little bigger than a Pilot?

This is just my opinion. I do hope that some Pilot owners jump in to offer their experience.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #8
ng2951

You can get a 4-door Tacoma with a tow package that can handle 6,500 lbs. I am sure it is not as fuel efficient as the Pilot.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
PopBeavers

The Pilot appears to be able to tow either 3500 or 4500 pounds, if you have the factory tow package. 3500 is not enough. I do not understand what you need to get to the 4500 pound rating.

Assuming you have a tow capacity of 4500 pounds, you will have to pack lightly. The kids can not bring all their stuff. They can not bring any friends. Travel with no water. Travel with holding tanks empty.

Some people like a margin of safety. The "80 percent" rule is used by some of us. A tow vehicle with a factory rating of 5000 pounds can tow 4000 pounds.

Imagine the following scenario:

towing downhill
on a curve
off camber
road is wet
panic stop becomes necessary

Either make sure you have a vehicle to handle that situation or make sure you never encounter that situation. An under powered engine is not much of a safety issue. Under sized tow vehicle brakes and a short wheel base can become a safety issue.

I am pretty conservative. I have more tow vehicle that I need. My budget is likely different than your budget.

I agree that the difference is small between the TMs that you listed. Small enough that if the Pilot can handle one of them, then it can handle the others. Just be sure to pack lightly. Consider weighing it the first time out on a short trip close to home with no major hills. Then you will know how heavy you really are and can make some adjustments to what you take with you.

You can, if the budget allows, get a larger tow vehicle if you are unhappy with the current one.

I had to slam on the brakes once to make a panic stop while towing. Fortunately, it was a flat dry straight road. I am happy to report that I think I can stop just as fast when towing as I can when not towing. I was going 45 mph when I engaged the ABS brake system on my truck to stop as fast as the equipment was able to. I feel about as safe as anyone can in the ability to make a panic stop.

If you want to downsize from the Tundra, what else is out there that is a little bigger than a Pilot?

This is just my opinion. I do hope that some Pilot owners jump in to offer their experience.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We have a family of 4 and tow our 2720 (regular model) with a Chevy 1500. We've been to Yosemite twice and there is one hill that really slows us down even with our 5.3L engine.

When our kids were small, we could all fit into a 12' Aloha trailer. The kids slept together in the front dinette that turned into a bed. When they got to be a little older, they didn't want to sleep together any more. That's why we went for the 2720 regular model that has 3 separate beds. You might outgrow the 2720 SD before you know it.