TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
DiamondBelle

Default Painting the walls of 1997 2815 TM ?? CAN YOU DO THAT??

Does anyone know what that model's walls are made of and can you paint them? If so with what type of paint ....?? Thank you very much! I wanna buy this TM but I hate the wall color...so looking to see what changes I can make if I buy it. Thx!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
2bcs1jrt

I think you mean 2518. I have a 1996.
I actually did paint the walls of the forward shell. They were messed up from a bad velcro re-glue project. Removing the glue required damaging some of the paint. I matched it rather than change it. It's held up nicely over 2 years.
The walls are aluminum. I used an interior/exterior latex semi gloss.
Cheri
Old 04-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
DiamondBelle

Thank you .....and yes I meant 2518. I'm so new to this....forgive me . Did you do any other remodeling on your 1996?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
2bcs1jrt

No remodeling. Just various things to add more storage. The Container Store is a treasure trove of ideas for over the door hooks and shelves. And I replaced the velcro that holds the viny flaps up with a marine grade velcro that has worked great.
We have also performed some modifications as suggested on this forum. We very recently did a wheel well modification to round out the wheel wells so they might do less damage in a blow out. (The old TMs have a square wheel well) We also added a lift kit which is basically a piece of square steel that mounts between the axel and the frame to raise it up 2.5 inches higher. Some folks do this to give clearance so you don't bottom out going through a dip. We did it because we wanted to upgrade to larger wheels and tires for safety.
The 2518s have 13 inch wheels. They have a lower speed and load carrying capacity than a 14 inch wheels and tires.
The smallest TM they make now is a 2619. They have the 14 inch tires.
I put a call out to other 2518ers recently and got no responses. Not many out there I guess.

Cheri
PS
As a trial member, you will not have full access to the forum. If you decide to join, you will see a lot more information on this site