TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2004, 03:36 PM   #1
mcfly

Default 1989 trailmanor 28

was wondering if anyone was familar with this model?

it has duel axels, is this the same as what a 3023 is now?
if ther is differences what are they?

thanks,
stan
Old 03-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #2
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Re:1989 trailmanor 28

Stan,

The 28M which became the 3225 in late 1993 was around for quite a few years. I think that they stopped making it in 2000 or 1999. Until the 29M (now3326 came along in 1992), the 28M was the largest TrailManor made.

The 28M came in the 28 or 28F. The 28F had a couch in front of the front bed. In addition, there was a seat at the end of the counter top. The table then came up from the wall. There was also a chair just as you came in the door.

The 28 had 2 chairs and a cabinet by the door as you entered and the couch on the opposite side. Yes it did have dual axles just like the 29M ( 3326). I found an old price list for the 28M and it sold for $18,000.00 The a/c, awning, spare tire were of course extra. Back then, they were using 13 inch tires on the dual axles.

Hope this helps out.

Bob Strong
BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
mcfly

bob, thanks, i have one that i am thinking of buying, it is a 1989 by the looks of the pictures it looks in really good shape.

is there anything i should know or ask before buying it?
they have it at $4,900.00

basicly we are buying sight unseen (except for about the dozen pictures of it) its just to far to go see with 2 kids but we are set on getting a TM. do i need any thing special for towing?
our last camper was a pop-up and i see that this one it like towing 2 of our pop-ups, if we buy it we are going to meet the guy half way.

thanks,
stan

Old 03-07-2004, 05:45 PM   #4
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Stan,

Hopefully, the 3 big costly items are in working condition: the refrig, the furnace,and the hot water heater. The a/c was extra so that's another item you might want to check out also. These items are quite expensive to replace. With the age of the TrailManor, one of them or more might be in need of repair.

Also, the tires might need replacing. You are talking about 4 tires plus the spare. They will start to dry rot after 3 or 4 years and that can be a dangerous situation.

Also, I don't know what you have for a tow vehicle, but remember that this unit was the largest one built back then. It weighed in at 3000 lbs without the extras (awning, spare tire, a/c). So please make sure your tow vehicle can handle the trailer.

Also, back then, this was the 6th year for production of the trailer, they were using wood in the top sections, and there were some dry rot problems also. They changed the construction shortly after that.

Another thing to check out is if the water lines are OK, and they don't have any burst lines or the water pump is shot. Another thing is the roof vents. After years of use, they get brittle and break. Someone told me that getting replacements for that size vent was hard to do. I am not sure of it though just hear say.

Hope this helps out.

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

If I were in your shoes - and I'm not - I would talk it over quietly with my wife, decide on some guidelines, then go alone to look at it. That way, you don't have the pressure of a family looking over your shoulder and yelling "Yes, Daddy!" and expecting you to make an instant executive decision. Salesmen love that scenario! If Daddy comes home with a new TM, hooray! If Daddy doesn't, then Daddy had a nice drive that day, and is glad to be home. The quest will continue.

Whatever you decide to do, you should arrive at the dealer with a list of questions and things to be demonstrated to your satisfaction. If you don't get answers - or you get the wrong answers - you should be prepared to lower the price you are willing to pay. You might even have a dollar figure in mind for expected problems mentioned in this thread. If the refrig doesn't work, you want $500 off or a replacement refrig. If the furnace doesn't work, you want $250 off or a new furnace. If the tires are dry-rotted, you want new tires. If there is rot in the frame, you want $1000 off. If the vent cover is broken, you want $75 off. And so forth.

Try to choose reasonable numbers that make him want to fix the problem, rather than hand it to you - you don't want the hassle. For example, if the refrig is broken, and a new one retails for $500, tell him you want him to install a new one, or you want $550 off the price. He can get a new one for $350, and install it for $50, so he is money ahead to take care of it. You can be polite about it - you don't have to be as abrupt as I just was. But be prepared to stick to your guns - because you will pay the same money for repair after delivery if you don't.

If the guy says (and he undoubtedly will) "we already took that into account in the price, so we can't reduce it any more" - well, you have to decide on the spot if that is true. It might be, or it might not. The idea is to make the guy work for you and understand where you are positioned. Don't allow him to bulldoze you, but don't try to thingy him to the wall, either. Be fair, but firm.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
mcfly

thanks, i will definitly use your list of things to check,
my towing car is a dodge durango w/5.2

stan
Old 03-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Yo, nice tow vehicle! I am envious! If you have a WDH, you are good to go forever. If you don't, you can go home at a sedate pace, show off your new rig, and then buy a WDH. But you should have a WDH, before you do any serious towing. No sway control needed, either way.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:07 PM   #8
spoutman
Site Sponsor

Stan,

I have an 89 model 28 and I tow it with a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup with a 5.2 (318) v8 with a 3.55 gear ratio. The model 28 is like a 3023 but it has a 2' cabinet that makes it 2' longer. Your Dodge should do fine if it is gear like mine. I hope this helps.

Spoutman
spoutman is offline   Reply With Quote