TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
pbuck1

Default Can I tow my 2720SL home with my RX300?? help!!

Hi,
I just bought a 2001 2720SL and need to collect it imminently from N. Fla to drive it home to Wash DC, I95 all the way (excl. stops). I bought it with the impression that my Lexus RX300 with 3500lbs/350lbs limits would be adequate as a long term tow vehicle. After reading this forum (esp. Toyota Highlander comments), I realize it is probably not, so I intend to change tow vehicles. I plan to replace the 2000 Lexus with, say, a 2001 4Runner /Infiniti QX4 which I think should be adequate for the long term.

My dilemma is: do I a)tow home with the lexus anyway which gives me time to replace the vehicle at a more leisurely pace, i.e. time to think and browse vehicles for sale? or..
b) Rush out and buy a replacement vehicle right away because I just shouldn't use the RX to tow the TM home?

I'm working with this for the RX300:
TM's UVW is 2950 lbs per the seller. I assume this includes options since spec'ed dry wt. is 2680 lbs). So with two 150lb people in the RX I'd be just OK maybe if lightly loaded and dry except for propane. The TM comes with Reese wt. dist. hitch and my Hidden Hitch receiver spec is spec'd for WDH use (5000/500lbs) . Can I use this combination to adjust to be OK with 350lbs tongue weight limit? Also I've just received my Prodigy brake controller but not yet installed it. ( I guess I can install in the RX then rip out and reinstall in new vehicle if need be).

I'm a new RVer, and I wanted to make the trip back my first camping trip (2/3 nights). Is it possible to do this relatively comfortably when I must have dry tanks and virtually no load when moving?

I'll be v. grateful for any comments/suggestions that will help me make this decision.

Thanks