TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-07-2004, 06:38 PM   #11
Larry_Loo

Question Simple Explanation about cause of Swaying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
A perennial topic on this board is the addition of a bike rack on the rear bumper. Several people have experienced sway when they do this, and the question is, WHY does it cause sway? The usual answer is that the weight of the bikes, mounted so far behind the wheels, reduces the hitch weight, which in turn causes sway. I admit I’ve had some trouble with this explanation.

Bill
I missed this discussion when it first started and only recently came upon it. I'm surprised that Bill, my friend, doesn't understand the mechanics of swaying, but then, I've excused him because he's merely an electrical engineer. ;-) Now, Bill, you don't need to remark about my total ignorance concerning electrical devices and circuitry.

I've attached a drawing that may help most of you to understand why swaying occurs. First, let me define some engineering terms:
"Moment" is the product of an applied force and the "Moment arm" through which the force is applied. The "Moment" of a force is the force's tendency to cause rotation of an object around a point, such as a hinge pin.
"Fulcrum" is the term used for the point of rotation such as a hinge pin.
"Frictional resistance" refers to the force that resists the sliding of one object over another.

The attached drawing depicts the trailer's original center of gravity (CG) as a circle. This CG is located 2.4 from the hitch ball, or fulcrum (the numbers don't represent real distances, but are distances in inches of my model) and the tires meet the road's surface at 4.8 from the fulcrum.

When this trailer is towed straight behind the tow vehicle, the lateral forces exerted on the trailer are zero. A lateral force can be exerted on the trailer, however, from wind gusts or the drivers swerving quickly (due to a directional change of "Momentum"). A strong gust of wind striking the trailer's right side, for example, will result in a lateral force that exerts itself through the trailer's CG. This force creates a moment that attempts to rotate the trailer clockwise around the hitch ball. The main force resisting this is that due to the frictional resistance of the tires against the roadway. The moment created by this frictional resistance is the product of the frictional resistance and its moment arm. This counterclockwise moment attempts to keep the trailer from rotating clockwise around the hitch ball. Since frictional resistance is created in reaction to the lateral force, its moment can only equal that of the lateral force's moment but can never exceed it.

With properly inflated tires, sufficient tire tread and a dry roadway, there is a high value of frictional resistance. In a well-designed trailer such as our TMs frictional resistance's moment is more than adequate to counterbalance the lateral force's moment trying to swing the trailer to the left. No swaying occurs in this instance.

The two moments are equal and
Lateral Force X 2.4 = Frictional Resistance X 4.8

Notice that the frictional resistance's force in this instance is only half that of the lateral force.

Now if one loads heavy objects rearward of the axle, the trailer's CG shifts rearward. Assume that loading bicycles and batteries on its rear bumper pushes the CG to its new position, 3.6 from the hitch ball. That same gust of wind now creates a moment equal to:

Lateral Force X 3.6, or one that is 50% greater than the previous moment.

The frictional resistance of the tires on the roadway will increase to counterbalance the clockwise turning moment. If there is sufficient frictional resistance to generate a moment equaling the lateral force's moment, no sway will occur. If the lateral force's moment exceeds the frictional resistance's moment by just a small amount, the driver may notice only a slight swaying motion. If the wind gust strikes the trailer while it is on a wet, icy or oily roadway, however, the moment of the diminished frictional resistance may not be able to significantly counterbalance the clockwise turning tendency. In this instance the swaying will be severe; it can result in the driver's loss of control and overturning of trailer and tow vehicle (this happened to friends of ours several months ago). You can see that continuing to put too much load on the rear part of the trailer will move the CG even farther rearward. Then towing becomes dangerous as even a slight swerving to the right or left can result in severe swaying.

You are correct, Bill, in stating that we cannot easily determine the location of the CGs of our loaded trailers. We can, however, use the load on the trailer's tongue as a rough indication of the altered CG's location. I'd venture to guess that the tongue load should increase by at least 10% of the weight added to a trailer. This means that if our empty trailer's tongue load is 400 lb. and we add 1,000 lb. of stuff to a trailer, the tongue load should increase by 100 lb. on a properly loaded trailer. Isn't this a good argument for purchasing a tongue scale - such as the ones that Camping World sells?

My explanation may be a simplified one but I believe that I've covered the major forces in play that can result in a trailers swaying.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:43 PM   #12
fcatwo
Site Sponsor

Our towing experience is limited to the TrailManor, one 5th wheel trailer and a few boats and I don't claim to be an expert but IMHO the bow wave from passing trucks is the most likely sway producer. The force they exert on one end of a trailer is switched to the opposite end as the truck passes and this causes sway that will be felt in the cab no matter how competent the tow vehicle is. Those big rigs can put an improperly set-up TV/trailer in the ditch on an otherwise windless day.

Frank

Non Of The Above.
fcatwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
DthomasDell

Default eliminate trailer sway the easy way

My 3124KB is light enough for this hitch: it's perfect and don't listen to anyone who's never used one. try it yourself they offer 60days money back (but you'll never use it)
Hensley Cub
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #14
moaboy

I had a friend who had a regular Hensley hitch and he loved it, but it was not cheap...it also got a little finicky when he unhitched and his tv and rig were not perfectly level.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
gjmaker95

Default bike rack alternative...

I just picked up a 2006 TM 3023 (with the front bunk) that doesn't have a 2" receiver hitch on the rear bumper. As an alternative to adding a receiver hitch to the rear bumper I am thinking of using one of these:

This would allow me to mount the bike rack above the hitch mounted to my TV (2013 Toyota Tacoma, 6 cyl., 6500 lb tow rating, factory tow package, currently no weight distribution hitch, but do have a prodigy brake controller)

Have you heard of anyone using something like this to tow a TM? Also, am I right in guessing that this is probably not compatible with a weight distribution hitch?

Thanks for any thoughts/insights.

Gregg
300W Solar, Anderson WDH
gjmaker95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #16
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

With out a WDH if you read the fine print your ratings are #500 tongue and #5000 draw weight. Tongue weights on TM's are much higher then folks think. Typically in the #500 range. Now add in the weight of how many bikes.

High dollar composite bike frames will be lightest of course but two typical wally world bikes are going to add 80 to 100 pounds or more.

The bike carriers I am familiar with won't work on a WDH.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:39 PM   #17
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

We have a 2 bike swagman on the back of our trail manor , the kind with the hooks on the middle bars and ratchets down the tires. We have never had sway, of course our highest speed is 55-60 mph. Couldn't be happier with it.
Texas
campernurse2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #18
Troglodyte

Default Entirely new bumper

We have been struggling with how to carry our bikes since picking our rig up last year. The best option we had was the rear bumper rack but the factory option just isn't substantial enough. After spending the last 12 months looking for a ready made solution we gave up and made one. It helps to have a brother who loves to weld. We ended up cutting the paper thin rear bumper off then fabricating a new bumper by welding a receiver tube into 2"x3"x3/16" steel tube. This was then welded on the TM where the old bumper was and the white plastic cover replaced. We then cut the 2" receiver square out of the bumper cover for access. This weekend will be the trial run and I will report back on results. If it causes sway I will redistribute the moveable weigh to increase tongue weight but I don't think that will be a problem. If anyone is coming to the New England rally you could see it in person. If nothing else I now have a bomb-proof bumper for a total net weight increase of 12 pounds. (I will have a shorter bar prior to travel...the one in the pictures is from an older setup.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711 (Large).JPG
Views:	184
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	9779Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2720 (Large).JPG
Views:	183
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	9780Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2738 (Large).JPG
Views:	189
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	9781Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2757 (Large).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	473.3 KB
ID:	9782Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2760 (Large).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	544.2 KB
ID:	9783
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:49 PM   #19
moaboy

Looks great. Sure wish I had a welder in the family...
Old 04-28-2014, 07:26 PM   #20
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Have you considered making more than one ? I'd be interested.