TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-22-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Lightbulb Converting my spare tire holder

So since my new spare tire rim will not fit on the carrier under the trailer (it's an 8 bolt rim) and I'm moving the spare to the rear bumper, I will have all this open space (approx. 22" W X 48" L X 10" D) doing nothing (and I can't stand the thought of that!). I have decided (after much mulling over) to convert the carrier into a sliding storage space. Well it already slides so all I have to do is come up with some sort of box or cage to mount on top of the carrier. It will have a lot of room and be fairly accessible. I figure it would be good for things where it doesn't matter if they get wet or grimy. Stuff like tarps and even plastic storage crates with a lid (which would keep things relatively dry but clean). Any number of things. So it's off to the drawing board for me. Any ideas from the hinterlands?
TC
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Talking Did You Read The Previous Post?....OK! I got it....

So after pondering what to do about converting the spare tire space into cargo space, I was surfing the web for rattle traps to quiet down and bolster your male part (no it's not that) of the receiver bar that plugs into the receiver (I have one on my main hitch and it works great). Since I am putting my spare on the rear (actually the only) bumper, and it weighs about 65 lbs., I thought this would be good to keep it from moving around and making noise (they fit kinda loosely)......anyways, I was looking on the web and these cargo trays that hang off the back of your car/truck/trailer by a 2" receiver kept popping up.
AH HA!....That's the answer. I went out and re-measured the space I had vacant and started looking for honest. On Ebay I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-RV-...vip=true&rt=nc

Only its now $76 instead of $51 and with free shipping instead of $18. So it's about the same price as before. This link is to an old Ebay ad. So if you want to find this you'll have to call the toll free number on this ad. That's what I had to do. I did call and asked if the receiver bar and reflectors are removable and they said that they are screwed on ...so yes you can take off the bar and reflectors. That would leave it flat on the bottom for mounting on the old spare tire carrier. This will just fit in that vacant space. I couldn't have planned it better had I tried.
After I remove the lugs for the 15" wheel spare, this will then be screwed onto the old spare tire frame. That way it will be able to slide out like the spare did making for easy access.
Next I went by The Container Store and found these weatherproof clear plastic tote boxes for $12 each. They are 19"Lx15"Wx7"T. The cargo frame will be able to hold three of these. I only got two though, leaving the rest of the space open for chocks and tools and stuff that I don't mind if it gets wet.
One more thing...I am going to change the way the carrier locks into place. Instead of the pins with holes for those clips that are on there now, I will be putting in a piece of 2" angle iron with a spring latch welded to it (spring latch...a round cylinder device with a pull ring on one side of a pin that is spring loaded...you pull the ring and the pin retracts into the cylinder...let go and it springs back out of the cylinder). One for each side. I will screw or weld the angle iron to the outside of the frame. The latch pin will then protrude thru a hole in the angle iron. I am going to drill another hole in the side of the frame on the spare tire carrier (the one that the pins/clips currently go thru on the top part). It's hard to explain, but I will have photos on my web page of all this for your viewing pleasure......got all that so far?
This way when I go to drop the spare tire/now cargo holder, all I will have to do is pull both (one on each side) spring loaded latch pin outward retracting the latch pins and the carrier will drop down to the ground. Pick up the end of the carrier, and slide it out. *Presto* you have the contents right at your fingers. Plus since these storage totes are clear, you can see which one to open.
This is going to be soooo cool!
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote