TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
whdubbs

Default Protecting Camper Stored Outside

I recently purchased a 2006 Model 2619. Unfortunately I do not have an indoor storage option available so I am concerned about protecting the camper from the weather. I live in the Dallas TX area so I can count on intense sunshine with about 60 days above 100 degrees annually and occasional hail.

Would purchasing a cover be worthwhile? If so are there any recommendations? Would the vent and A/C unit need any special protection? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is a very nice camper and I want to keep it that way.

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
Old 10-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

If you are storing on your own property and have no bothersome covenants from a home owners association you could get a shelter logic canopy. Ever so often you will need to buy a replacement cover. We have never had hail but I would think it might bounce off at least while new...unless it is realy big hail or the canopy cover was dry rotted. We have a 3124ks and paid about 115.00 for the cover new at a place like Pep Boys. I buy the replacement covers on Amazon for about 89.00 usually every other year in the summer. Our was bright yellow gold which they call tan...now the poles are a faded shade of that and the covering is white to see if it will last longer. Usually when I buy it on Amazon it is shipped from Northern Tool who sells them in the stores and at their site for a whole lot more. It would not stop ...say a big pine tree. We have taken down the top covering if really heavy wind rain is expected. One day we will have one of the metal car canopies installed. Those will definitely deter hail damage. We also have to buy replacement bungees with the ball on the end...we buy those 100 at a time.Originally they were bright yellow gold and now we just buy the white ones.

I do not think that a regular RV cover will protect from hail damage. I could be wrong though.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
TravlinOn

Others might have different experience but I bought and used a cover for about a year or so, and I took it off and threw it away. Hard to say if it really provided any protection from sun, etc., but from the very first it tended to snag and tear. Too expensive to replace every year.

More important, I think, is to make some protection from the sun for your tires. Trailer tire sidewalls suffer from UV exposure. Easy to do for yourself and relatively cheap.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I agree with Travlinon, even the supposed high end covers deteriorate way to quickly. My TM came with an Addco cover which was less than a year old and it only lasted six months before it was shredded.

I chose to build a simple shed roof with one solid wall to protect the south facing side and roof of my TM.. I made it 20ft long and 12ft wide and slanted the roof from 12ft to 10ft. I built it with 4x4 posts and 2x6 joists with a corrugated metal roof. I spent about $750 which ended up being about the same price as a custom made Sunbrella cover and I don't have the hassle of putting it on and taking it off every time we go camping.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail Cruiser View Post
I agree with Travlinon, even the supposed high end covers deteriorate way to quickly. My TM came with an Addco cover which was less than a year old and it only lasted six months before it was shredded.

I chose to build a simple shed roof with one solid wall to protect the south facing side and roof of my TM.. I made it 20ft long and 12ft wide and slanted the roof from 12ft to 10ft. I built it with 4x4 posts and 2x6 joists with a corrugated metal roof. I spent about $750 which ended up being about the same price as a custom made Sunbrella cover and I don't have the hassle of putting it on and taking it off every time we go camping.
This ^^^ if you can get away with it. I have used covers on a variety of vehicles over the years and you cannot beat a hard cover. We currently store a variety of classic cars/trucks under carports with car covers on them, the most cost effective method we have found so far. I had a 2000 Coleman Niagara that I kept under a low shed, sold it for 65% of new retail price in 2010 because it was kept clean and stored out of the weather. Covers don't last long under adverse weather conditions, but do a great job in combination with a hard roof.

Aaron
Old 10-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
ChillEDog

I live in Dallas area too, bought a 2007 2619 within the last year, keep it in my carport. Seller included a still-in-the-package ADCO cover that was dated at least 5 years ago, I put it on and am happy with it so far.

You definitely want to cover the camper if possible, if only to help prevent curtains from fading. There is also the issue with the tires mentioned previously. Sun destroys everything in time. Another reason - I put my cover on when I found that wasps were building a nest in the window area. I also like that it prevents a build-up of the dust that I see on my cars.

Can't speak to hail. Obviously a cloth cover is not a total solution, but should help some I would think.
ChillEDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
davlin
TrailManor Master

Wait. I thought every TM came with one of these?

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TMhouse.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	9304  
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
wahoonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post

Dave
They should!

Aaron
Old 10-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlin View Post

Dave
Very NICE...something like this is what we hope to get installed next year.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

An added thought. The TM, like any other trailer, has a number of sharp edges and corners. The TV antenna is one example, there are several more down in the hitch area, and the lower edges and the underside have several more. If you put a fabric cover over these sharp edges, and then either tug the cover or allow the wind to tug it, of course it will shred.

Lesson? Pad those sharp edges and corners. A few years back, one of our members - BandD, or CountryGirl, was that you? - wrote a really good post about what to pad and how to do it. A Search, probably on "ADCO", should turn it up.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote