TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
Patriot
Site Sponsor

Default Brake away switch plug melted and grease on wheel

On a trip to Ohio from Texas, we stopped near Jackson, Miss. When we hitched up to go to Mammoth Cave in KY my prodigy brake controller indicated that it was not connected to the trailer. I checked the breakaway brake switch plug and it was melted in half. I called Ed at TM and he advised me to see an RV repair shop. I decided to go for it to KY since I knew I had sufficient brakeing capability with my TV and had frequent stops to check the wheels. When I reached my destination I noticed my left wheel bearing cap was missing and grease all over the wheel. Must of happened after our last stop about an hour before we got to KY. The campground gave me a name of a mobile RV repairman so I plan on calling him in the morning to check my wheel bearings and check for shorts. Has anyone had a similiar problem?
Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ouch! Never heard of this problem. However, the breakaway switch is open-circuit (never carries current) when the plastic plug is properly inserted, so a short anywhere in the brake circuit would have no effect on the breakaway switch itself. The fact that the plug was melted indicates to me that the switch was carrying full brake current for a long time, and it overheated. This woud happen if the plug was partially pulled - not seated properly. It doesn't take much of a tug to pull it. Unfortunately, if the breakaway switch was carrying current, that means the brakes were fully applied all the time you were driving. The resulting heat overheated the brakes, which melted the grease in the bearings and blew off the bearing cap.

Meanwhile, with full battery voltage on the brakes, the brake controller would see this 12 volts even when the controller is not applying the brakes, and interprets the condition as "Not connected".

If I am right, you may have to replace the brakes and the bearings at least - maybe more. And I bet it didn't do much for your gas mileage, either!

Sorry to be a downer, but I don't see how anything else could have caused the problem you describe.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Patriot
Site Sponsor

Thanks Bill,

I called Lemay's Mobile RV and Marine Service and he came to our campsite. He retired from Camping World and now does mobile RV service. Apparently my brake away prong must of pulled out and dragged and the friction from the pavement melted it. Probably was not the brake switch after all. As you stated I've been pulling with my trailer brakes engaged and did not even feel it in my TV all the way to Kentucky from Texas. This caused my driver wheel to get hot and melt or blow off the rubber seal thereby throwing grease out. Lemay inspected my wheels and though my brake pads were worn they were still usable but needed to be replaced as soon as possible. Since the weather looked bad I chose to just get the wheel bearings repacked to get me going to my final destination in Ohio . He did repack both wheel bearings with high temperature grease. He replace the EZ-Lube cap with a solid metal cap on the left side since he only had one he covered the other cap with metal tape. The passenger wheel was OK but showed indication of heating. He cut the brake switch wire so no power would go to the brakes and I disconnected the prodigy brake controller. When I get to Ohio I will replace the brakes, get a new prong and reconnect the brake switch controller and connect my prodigy. I plan on staying off the interstate on this leg of the journey and just take the side roads to my destination. I feel confident I will be Ok. I highly recommend Mr. Lemay if your ever in the Mammoth Cave area in Kentucy and need service. He can be reached at 270-629-5386 or cell at 239-699-6288. The nearest RV repair was in Bowling Green, KY at Camping World and I sure did not want to take a chance with my wheels and have more problems by driving to Camping World which was another 30-45 minutes away.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I'm glad the situation resolved itself as well as it did. I have to admit I'm not thrilled with the idea of driving from Kentucky to Ohio (100 miles? 200 miles?) without trailer brakes. Be REALLY careful. As others have noted, there are legal and insurance implications here, especially if you get into any kind of accident - even a minor one, even if you are not at fault.

And thanks for adding Mr LeMay to the good guy list.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
Patriot
Site Sponsor

Thanks Bill. Well, I made it to Ohio with no problem. I took the scenic routes to the Cleveland area. I decided to order the hub assy since it is wired with two wires and 4 bolts instead of replacing the magnet and brake pads separately. It was reasonable at $55 for each wheel. I bought the brake away prong also. It will be ready and give me a peace of mind on my return leg to Houston, Texas next week. Of course I will replace and grease my new bearings also. Good lesson learned for my next trip out West to California next year.