TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Wavery
TrailManor Master

That's what's great about these forums. Many gain from the open discussions.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
BeerCan

This is a great thread. I know it is a bit old but instead of creating a new thread I thought I would bump it.

I decided to upgrade my converter and went with the progessive dynamics pd9245c. I am sure glad I did. When I took the old converter out I found that one of the larger capacitors had vented. Looks like it has been that way for some time. The new converter went in after a few mods to the old housing. Not to hard of an install for anyone that is reasonably handy. The plus side is that the lights in the rear half of the shell no longer flicker. Obviously the old one was barley hanging on.

This site is turning out to be such a great resource for me. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #23
rshort

Default Intelli-Power Upgrade Crossover Chart

Is there a Intelli-Power product crossover chart to match their model to what I have an American CS6000XL converter on my 2005 2720?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have the American Enterprises converter, and I understand why you would want to replace the charger. It is (ahem) poor. When I replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 9245 (with the Charge Wizard pendant, by the way) I couldn't find a cross-reference chart. I also didn't see any way I could fit the new charger into the exsiting half of the Amercian Enterprises enclosure, as HarveryRV did on his old converter ('nuther brand). I'll admit I didn't try too hard. Intead, I simply used well-nuts to mount it on the wall of the rear battery compartment. No fit issues, easy to wire, and well-protected. If your batteries are on the tongue, the conclusion may be different, of course.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
rshort

Hmm. Thanks Bill. The batteries are on the tongue. I will figure out a good place to put the new converter.

Ron
Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #26
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshort View Post
Hmm. Thanks Bill. The batteries are on the tongue. I will figure out a good place to put the new converter.

Ron
Check out the link in post #5 of this thread. I mounted my converter on the forward part of the box. It was quite easy to do, it's close to the batteries for optimum efficiency, now that that over-heating will be an issue and it is protected from the weather.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #27
joshbw

I am thinking about upgrading my convertor to a PD4645 because I have the old Magnetek series now. Is there much difference between this series and say the 9100 or 9200 series? I want to make sure I am getting the best I can if I am am upgrading.

Also, does anyone know the factory size battery for a 2003 2720SL? Not sure if it is a group 24 or 27. The battery was replaced right before I bought it and it is in the factory battery box in the back storage area. I would measure it but everything is closed up.

I eventually want to upgrade to (2) six volt golf cart styles to get more capacity for night usage but the battery I have now is fine for awhile. The main reason I want to upgrade the convertor is to get quicker charges for CG's that only allow a few hours of gen usage a day. I am assuming the new convertor will help with this and be easier on the battery when in storage.

My only concern is that the 45A output will be to much for battery I have now. Wouldn't it cook the battery because the recommended charge rate is only C/8 or C/10; this would clearly far exceed that.

EDIT: I was just looking at the Xantrex Freedom HF1800 or HW series. Price is about the same for each model, anyone have any experice with these? It would be nice to have 120V power while im in there changing things out...

Thanks again for the help and input.

Josh
Old 12-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Replacing the Magnetek is a good idea, and the choice of a 4645 looks great to me. Some of the PD chargers are true 3-stage, sometimes they require a Charge Wizard (small pendant) in order to be true 3-stage, and some of them are not true 3-stage.The 4645 has a built-in Charge Wizard, so it is good.

Some of the PD chargers (including the 4645) will fit into the Magnetek power-distribution box. Some will not. If you buy one that will not, you may end up mounting it on the wall of the rear compartment, near the battery, as I did. Not difficult, but takes up a bit of space in the compartment.

I don't think there is a factory-installed battery in TMs. The dealer installs it as part of his prep. Some dealers put in a Group 24, others put in a Group 27. Either will fit just fine.

If you upgrade to a dual battery setup, be sure to search for a post by Mike Laupp showing how he did it in a 2720SL. I'll add a link here if I find it - check back.

Battery charger amp ratings are deceiving. When they say that the charger is rated at 45 amps, it means that the charger is CAPABLE of 45 amps, but will provide it only if the battery will accept it. But a smaller battery, such as a Group 24 or 27, may not accept it, and the charge rate will self-limit. Or, if it does accept it, it will accept it for only a few seconds before tapering back. I don't think there is a problem here - there certainly is none with my PD9245 45 amp charger working on my Group 24 battery.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #29
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbw View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my convertor to a PD4645 because I have the old Magnetek series now. Is there much difference between this series and say the 9100 or 9200 series? I want to make sure I am getting the best I can if I am am upgrading.

Also, does anyone know the factory size battery for a 2003 2720SL? Not sure if it is a group 24 or 27. The battery was replaced right before I bought it and it is in the factory battery box in the back storage area. I would measure it but everything is closed up.

I eventually want to upgrade to (2) six volt golf cart styles to get more capacity for night usage but the battery I have now is fine for awhile. The main reason I want to upgrade the convertor is to get quicker charges for CG's that only allow a few hours of gen usage a day. I am assuming the new convertor will help with this and be easier on the battery when in storage.

My only concern is that the 45A output will be to much for battery I have now. Wouldn't it cook the battery because the recommended charge rate is only C/8 or C/10; this would clearly far exceed that.

EDIT: I was just looking at the Xantrex Freedom HF1800 or HW series. Price is about the same for each model, anyone have any experice with these? It would be nice to have 120V power while im in there changing things out...

Thanks again for the help and input.

Josh
My '04 SL had a 27 series in the factory box. I just upgraded to 2-6V golf cart batteries. It's an easy mod. I added some pics but I think that your storage compartment may be configured a little differently if you have the square, aluminum bumper.

My battery was located on the left side of the compartment because the compartment is narrower on the outside (allowing for the inside cabinet to be larger), placing the right side wall right at the edge of the door. If yours is on the right side, that's even better because the battery can be more centered in the trailer. I simply cut the hole in the compartment floor larger and recessed the battery box to make for more space in the compartment.

What area do you live in? The 27 that I took out is only a few months old.

The Progressive Dynamics 9245 and the 9645 has the latest and greatest technology. The 9645 is just configured to fit better in the original space is my understanding (which may be wrong). 45A is max capacity but it is a very Smart charger and will analyze your battery's need and adjust the charge accordingly.

On the SL, it's easy to install the converter right in the battery compartment.

Here's where I bought mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03805.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	5418   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03803.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	5419  
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #30
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
If you upgrade to a dual battery setup, be sure to search for a post by Mike Laupp showing how he did it in a 2720SL. I'll add a link here if I find it - check back.
Here is the thread:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1696

It is an excellent reference, and is what I used to guide me through the mod when I added dual batteries. It has been a trouble-free install.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote